TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-20-2015, 03:55 PM   #1051
MarkBergeron

Dead TCD746320

Thanks to ggieseke, jmbach and unitron. Although I lost all my recordings and my WishList, I successfully rebuilt my Premiere back to factory and I'm back in business. There's nowhere where a WishList is stored in the cloud is there?

So - Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!
Mark

MarkBergeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 04:05 PM   #1052
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBergeron View Post
Thanks to ggieseke, jmbach and unitron. Although I lost all my recordings and my WishList, I successfully rebuilt my Premiere back to factory and I'm back in business. There's nowhere where a WishList is stored in the cloud is there?

Mark
May I suggest that if you haven't done so already, you express your gratitude by contributing a few bucks to greg's beer budget?

Details for his paypal account are in the DvrBARS program. I gave $10, but of course the amount is up to you.

If you have already contributed, thank you very much for keeping the development of this fine program moving forward.

dougdingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 04:10 PM   #1053
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBergeron View Post
There's nowhere where a WishList is stored in the cloud is there?

Mark
Your TiVo Account Page saves all your SEASON PASS settings.
I don't see anywhere a WISH LIST is saved.

drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:28 PM   #1054
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
Your TiVo Account Page saves all your SEASON PASS settings.
I don't see anywhere a WISH LIST is saved.
If you set up your SP from the TiVo web sight maybe yes, but if you set up your SP from the TiVo itself no so much. It is a sync problem as your TiVo and the TiVo web sight does who is the master, as least RoboForm ask you what computer should be the master, and everything is sync to that computer. If you install a new drive, the TiVo web sight may not know this and think you deleted all your SP, so all the web sight SP will also be deleted. TiVo could fix this if they wanted.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:36 PM   #1055
jparker7345

Gsod - need image please

For a premiere model tcd746320. It's a 320gb wd green...but I don't think it's coming back.

jparker7345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 05:16 AM   #1056
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparker7345 View Post
For a premiere model tcd746320. It's a 320gb wd green...but I don't think it's coming back.
PM sent.

ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM   #1057
jimboc22

I think my Premiere XL's (TCD748000) hard drive may be going out soon. I'll need an image for it that I can use to restore on a new WD20EURX drive. Also since it will be an image from a different Tivo, I'll need to do a clear and delete after installing it, correct? Does this mean I will lose the THX video? Thanks!

jimboc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM   #1058
jparker7345

Glutton for punishment.....

Ok, so I've got the image.... but I'm all Mac's and Linux boxes at home (well... my kids have windows boxes... but they're on them all the time now that the TIVO is down....)... so while I realize I should just kick them off and use the DVRBars software.... I'm a unix geek .. and an engineer ... and I want to understand how this works. So some questions:

1. The VHD image I have received... is it a VHD image of the tivo drive itself? or a linux/windows/someotherOS virtual machine that contains an image of the tivo drive... i.e. should I be able to sector by sector copy this file to the drive (using ..say dd?)

I've converted it to a vdi file and mounted it with qemu-kvm but can't seem to see any partitions directly, so I'm thinking the actual tivo image is wrapped in something else and I'm wondering what that is... so I can unwrap it.

2. If I do end up kicking my kids off their windows systems and want to restore the image to the drive using DVRBars, what do I need to do to prepare an empty 500GB disk? Does it need a particular partition setup? Or will DVRBars handle all that for me once I point it at the device?

Thanks for your patience and help,

John

Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM   #1059
jparker7345

One more thing

As a backup, I also tried running this from my work laptop (windows 7). It seems to find my image file and usb hard drive fine, but consistently blue screens immedately after beginning the process to restore from an image. I'm guessing the security settings on my laptop may be to blame (I'm running as administrator, but there's a layer of disk encryption that may be messing things up if you're trying to access resources directly)... unless you've got another thing to try.

ddrescue of the old drive got about 300gb (out of 320) after a 3 day weekend ... but it wasn't enough for the tivo to be able to get the rest of the way there upon installation.

Thanks,
John

Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM   #1060
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboc22 View Post
I think my Premiere XL's (TCD748000) hard drive may be going out soon. I'll need an image for it that I can use to restore on a new WD20EURX drive. Also since it will be an image from a different Tivo, I'll need to do a clear and delete after installing it, correct? Does this mean I will lose the THX video? Thanks!
If the old drive still works, why not do a basic backup (or even a full one with all the shows if you wish) with DvrBARS that you can then use to create your new drive? Everything is preserved then...

Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM   #1061
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparker7345 View Post
Ok, so I've got the image.... but I'm all Mac's and Linux boxes at home (well... my kids have windows boxes... but they're on them all the time now that the TIVO is down....)... so while I realize I should just kick them off and use the DVRBars software.... I'm a unix geek .. and an engineer ... and I want to understand how this works. So some questions:

1. The VHD image I have received... is it a VHD image of the tivo drive itself? or a linux/windows/someotherOS virtual machine that contains an image of the tivo drive... i.e. should I be able to sector by sector copy this file to the drive (using ..say dd?)

I've converted it to a vdi file and mounted it with qemu-kvm but can't seem to see any partitions directly, so I'm thinking the actual tivo image is wrapped in something else and I'm wondering what that is... so I can unwrap it.

2. If I do end up kicking my kids off their windows systems and want to restore the image to the drive using DVRBars, what do I need to do to prepare an empty 500GB disk? Does it need a particular partition setup? Or will DVRBars handle all that for me once I point it at the device?

Thanks for your patience and help,

John
Can't help you with #1, but the answer to #2 is "nothing".

In fact, the drive must be raw. If it's initialized or otherwise readable by Windows, DvrBARS won't write to it (or even see it in its default setup).

Old Yesterday, 06:42 PM   #1062
telemark

The VHD is of a Tivo drive. You can use 'dd' if you know what you're doing. That is, you can not directly because all the sectors are scrambled around.

Typical Linux does not speak Tivo partition maps, so it will never show you the partitions unless you use specialized Tivo-aware tools.

tivopart, pmdmp, mfstools, jmfs, etc.
hexdump -C is my favorite in a pinch.

telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:32 AM   #1063
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboc22 View Post
PM sent.

My 748 image shouldn't need a C&DE because it was taken from a factory drive that was never booted. If I'm wrong and you have to clear it the THX video will be deleted.

ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote