TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-28-2016, 11:01 PM   #2821
jmbach
der Neuerer

Sounds like you are using JMFS 1.04 to do the expansion. You will have to find version 1.05 which that bug corrected. Alternatively you can use MFSTools 3.2 to copy the 2TB to the 3TB. MFSTools 3.2 will expand while it copies.

Thanks For This Post:
Old 05-29-2016, 10:23 AM   #2822
DeekayLBC
#GoNavyBaby

Thank you SO much for your quick response! Any idea on where to find JMFS 1.05? I was able to locate MFSTools. Thanks again!

DeekayLBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:46 PM   #2823
jmbach
der Neuerer

You can start here.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:28 PM   #2824
ciscokid516

My Premier XL 1TB drive died on me, looking for a copy of the factory image that I can use with DVRBars to make a new drive as a replacement. Can anyone help with a link to the software? Thanks in advance, I'll get this baby running again hopefully.

ciscokid516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:07 PM   #2825
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscokid516 View Post
My Premier XL 1TB drive died on me, looking for a copy of the factory image that I can use with DVRBars to make a new drive as a replacement. Can anyone help with a link to the software? Thanks in advance, I'll get this baby running again hopefully.
PM sent.

ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:19 PM   #2826
rif

Since the 1TB EURX drive isn't available on amazon, what drive is recommended.? A WD Red (WD10ERFX)?

I'm looking to replace my premiere xl's 1TB drive with another 1TB.

rif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:23 PM   #2827
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rif View Post
Since the 1TB EURX drive isn't available on amazon, what drive is recommended.? A WD Red (WD10ERFX)?

I'm looking to replace my premiere xl's 1TB drive with another 1TB.
Just in case you hadn't considered it, you might consider a Roamio instead. The performance difference between the two is worth the expense, IMO.

ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 06-21-2016, 06:21 AM   #2828
ggieseke

Newegg just put the WD10EFRX on sale for $54.99 with promo code ESCEKGF26.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...22236342-S1A2D

Thanks For This Post:
Old 06-21-2016, 09:44 AM   #2829
rif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
Just in case you hadn't considered it, you might consider a Roamio instead. The performance difference between the two is worth the expense, IMO.
Yes, but there's the expense of another lifetime contract. But I'll keep a watch on craigslist. I still have a series 3 HD in service...

As long as the basic method in the first post is valid, im fine with just replacing the drive too.

Last edited by rif; 06-21-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:40 PM   #2830
mattack

why do a 1 TB drive when it's so easy to go bigger?

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:43 PM   #2831
rif

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
why do a 1 TB drive when it's so easy to go bigger?
Current drive never goes past 50%, can use the extra $30 elsewhere

Old 08-08-2016, 02:12 PM   #2832
MJedi

Hello all,

It's been a long time since I did upgrades on my TiVos, the last one on my Series 3. I have a Premiere with its original drive that I want to upgrade to the largest drive it can support. I read the OP, and it looks pretty straightforward. I'm a bit confused as to what drive size I can use. Can I put 4TB in there? Or only 2TB or 3TB? Any caveats or warnings I need to know? I'm looking at this drive:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EHBEUZO/

Is this a good one to use?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by MJedi; 08-08-2016 at 02:39 PM.
MJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 05:19 PM   #2833
jmbach
der Neuerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJedi View Post
Hello all,

It's been a long time since I did upgrades on my TiVos, the last one on my Series 3. I have a Premiere with its original drive that I want to upgrade to the largest drive it can support. I read the OP, and it looks pretty straightforward. I'm a bit confused as to what drive size I can use. Can I put 4TB in there? Or only 2TB or 3TB? Any caveats or warnings I need to know? I'm looking at this drive:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EHBEUZO/

Is this a good one to use?

Thanks in advance!
Well the largest you can put in the Premiere as long as it is currently running the latest OS is 6TB. You can follow the instructions here.

Although green drives can be used most prefer WD A/V drives or WD Red drives. Some people have found that the WD A/V drive may have PUIS enabled and so you will have to use a program like HDAT2 to disable it. Lately it seems that all the WD drives do not have the wdidle3 timer issue anymore. (The timer was set to 8 seconds and not 5 minutes)

Old 08-29-2016, 01:00 AM   #2834
klyde

I have only a dvd drive on my desktop, I burned the jmfs-rev68.iso to a dvd disk.
I hook up my working 320gb hard drive with a working premier image on it, I hook up a new 1tb hard drive. I boot from the dvd. I see two lines of linux code run by then a quick ready then the screen goes blank and nothing else happens.
I have tried about 10 times now, several different burns, always the same thing.
What am I doing wrong?

klyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:03 AM   #2835
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by klyde View Post
I have only a dvd drive on my desktop, I burned the jmfs-rev68.iso to a dvd disk.
I hook up my working 320gb hard drive with a working premier image on it, I hook up a new 1tb hard drive. I boot from the dvd. I see two lines of linux code run by then a quick ready then the screen goes blank and nothing else happens.
I have tried about 10 times now, several different burns, always the same thing.
What am I doing wrong?
Try burning the .ISO image to a CD-R disk instead of a DVD-R. If that's not the problem, my guess would be that the Linux system doesn't have correct display drivers for your hardware.

L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:08 AM   #2836
klyde

I tried some cd disks and got the same thing, Im going to try a usb drive tomorrow, if that doesn't work I will try in another computer. Do I really have to upgrade from the smaller to the larger? Can't I put the smaller image on a 1tb drive and just expand that drive?
I did have problems again with the image, I went through all the setup screens and backed up that image, then when I was playing with the expansion that disk got corrupted again and I had to start all over with the new image and complete set up. I have no idea what is corrupting my image when I only do a backup, unless its hot plugging in the drives. Im going to try and shut the computer down before I hook the drive up next time. I will also try to use a USN dock.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:11 AM   #2837
jmbach
der Neuerer

Yes you can do that. Just clone the smaller to the larger drive. However you still have to boot JMFS to expand the Premiere image.

Alternatively, you can try MFSTools 3.2. It's image is newer and it is less likely to be a driver issue.

Last edited by jmbach; 08-29-2016 at 11:54 AM.
jmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:00 PM   #2838
rthurlow

@ggieseke or anyone else, could I get a link to a clean image for TCD746320?

Thanks so much,
Rob T

Old 09-16-2016, 10:22 PM   #2839
rthurlow

Premiere HD replacement questions

I posted this in Tivo Help, but might as well drag it over here. I have Spinrite looking at the 320Gb drive now. I found a WD20EFRX Red 2Tb drive on Amazon. I have downloaded the tools. Getting there!

----

Hi folks,

I have searched the forums some, but have some questions to which I don't see recent answers.

My TCD746320 Premiere was dead when I got back from vacation in July, and I revived it when I replaced the power supply. Sadly, it's dead again with a GSOD reboot loop, so I am assuming I will be putting a new drive in it. I assume I will be making friends with my new friends DvrBARS, MFS Tools and jmfs (many thanks to the authors!). I am pretty fearless, have the right Torx, a USB-to-SATA adapter, etc. I'm glad the power supply should not be a concern.

I use Tivo Desktop pretty heavily, so there isn't much lost except Svengoolie showing the original STTOS pilot, "The Cage", which I didn't pull over. The saved preferences are the biggest loss. Not earth shattering.

First, what should I look at when choosing a drive? Is there a list of good choices anywhere? I expect to get a 1Tb or 2Tb drive. I think I even have a spare 1Tb on hand.

Second, what are the odds I can pull off Onepasses and such from the old drive? I haven't connected it to see how pooched it is, and I guess I might see what Spinrite thinks of it.

Third, where can I get an image for my TCD746320?

Fourth, with the above-named tools, what would be the best path to get back on the air?

Old 09-16-2016, 10:50 PM   #2840
klyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthurlow View Post
@ggieseke or anyone else, could I get a link to a clean image for TCD746320?

Thanks so much,
Rob T
pm sent

Old 09-17-2016, 06:12 AM   #2841
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthurlow View Post
I posted this in Tivo Help, but might as well drag it over here. I have Spinrite looking at the 320Gb drive now. I found a WD20EFRX Red 2Tb drive on Amazon. I have downloaded the tools. Getting there!

----

Hi folks,

I have searched the forums some, but have some questions to which I don't see recent answers.

My TCD746320 Premiere was dead when I got back from vacation in July, and I revived it when I replaced the power supply. Sadly, it's dead again with a GSOD reboot loop, so I am assuming I will be putting a new drive in it. I assume I will be making friends with my new friends DvrBARS, MFS Tools and jmfs (many thanks to the authors!). I am pretty fearless, have the right Torx, a USB-to-SATA adapter, etc. I'm glad the power supply should not be a concern.

I use Tivo Desktop pretty heavily, so there isn't much lost except Svengoolie showing the original STTOS pilot, "The Cage", which I didn't pull over. The saved preferences are the biggest loss. Not earth shattering.

First, what should I look at when choosing a drive? Is there a list of good choices anywhere? I expect to get a 1Tb or 2Tb drive. I think I even have a spare 1Tb on hand.

Second, what are the odds I can pull off Onepasses and such from the old drive? I haven't connected it to see how pooched it is, and I guess I might see what Spinrite thinks of it.

Third, where can I get an image for my TCD746320?

Fourth, with the above-named tools, what would be the best path to get back on the air?
I replied in your Help forum post.