TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-29-2015, 07:22 PM   #10111
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyjasmine View Post
I want to get a 2TB internal drive for my Series 3. Is there anything special I need to know about doing it with a Mac? Is this Western Digital drive one you think would be the best? WD20EURS/EURX.

Sorry if this was already mentioned here; I did a search and could not find the answer. Thanks for your help
Jas
You'd need one of those Intel CPU based Macs that can run Windows however it is that they do it (dual boot?, virtual machine? hope there's a Mac user reading this that can advise), because WinMFS needs to run on Windows XP SP3 or newer, like Vista or 7, and you need to run it as admin.

The EURS is an old enough model that any still available and advertised as new are suspect and probably don't really have a WD warranty left on them, so get an EURX for about $90 from newegg or Amazon, but be sure you're buying directly from them and not one of their "partners".

Do you have the original S3 (the TCD648250B) or the later S3 model, the HD (or the HD XL, which was basically the same thing with a bigger drive)?

Are you planning to copy the original drive to the new drive?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:22 PM   #10112
sandyjasmine

Thanks Unitron
I probably won't copy the drive over. TCD652160 is what I have. So EURX is a good drive to get? If you have any other suggestions, that would be great.
Jas

sandyjasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:14 AM   #10113
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyjasmine View Post
Thanks Unitron
I probably won't copy the drive over. TCD652160 is what I have. So EURX is a good drive to get? If you have any other suggestions, that would be great.
Jas
If your current drive is still working it makes more sense to copy it than to use someone else's truncated image, although making an image from your current drive is a good idea as well, just for backup safety.

Whether booting from and using the MFS Live cd v1.4 (you download the .iso file and burn it as an image to a cd-r) or the WinMFS program running on Windows, either copying the old drive to the new one or restoring a truncated 652 backup to the new one, do not, repeat, do not do the expansion as part of that process.

That means not using the

-x

option on the command line with the cd, or, if using WinMFS, telling it NO when it offers to expand.

For some reason it can sometimes go wrong and screw things up.

Instead, once you have the TiVo software written to the new drive via copy or restore, use

mfsinfo

to check the new drive and make sure everything looks okay.

Then do the expansion as a separate process with

mfsadd

I don't know if the MFS Live cd will let you expand into all of a 2TB drive or not (although I hope to run that experiment in a couple of days), but WinMFS will, although it'll point out that you're about to exceed what used to be the 1.2TB per partition limit (not a problem ever since version 11.0h of the S3 software and yours should have been updated to 11.0m last year sometime) and you have to tell it to do so.

But before you put that new drive into service you need to run the drive manufacturer's own diagnostic software long test on it.

The WD test is available on the Ultimate Boot CD ( a free copy of which you can burn as an image for yourself, and if your Mac is Intel based it should boot in it).

And while you have that TiVo's lid off it's a good time to eyeball the power supply capacitors closely for bulging or leaking.

Unless I tell you otherwise, do not have the TiVo power cord plugged in while the lid is off.

ALWAYS KNOW WHERE BOTH ENDS OF THE TIVO POWER CORD ARE AT ALL TIMES!

Old 04-09-2015, 08:14 AM   #10114
sandyjasmine

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
.....But before you put that new drive into service you need to run the drive manufacturer's own diagnostic software long test on it.... And while you have that TiVo's lid off it's a good time to eyeball the power supply capacitors closely for bulging or leaking. Unless I tell you otherwise, do not have the TiVo power cord plugged in while the lid is off. ALWAYS KNOW WHERE BOTH ENDS OF THE TIVO POWER CORD ARE AT ALL TIMES!
Good advice. LOL on the plug. I'm thinking I'll just get a drive already formatted... make my life easier.

sandyjasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:13 AM   #10115
rlundstedt

Drive capacities for the S3 from DVRUpgrade

Hello all

In the first post on this thread, the drive capacities mentioned for the S3 were said to be 1TB. I know that was in 2009 and a lot has changed since then, but I know the inside of my TiVo S3 hasn't changed (I've never opened it). I have a dying drive in my S3 so I went to DVRUpgrade (as suggested in the first post) and they offer 1, 2, 4 and 6 TB drives for the S3. I've seen mention is my searches about the TiVo having a 32 bit system so it won't recognize anything larger than a 2TB - a 64 bit system is needed for that, I guess.

My question is will these larger drives really work in the S3?

Will the S3 be able to recognize the entire size of a larger than 2TB drive without using some third party work around (I need plug-n-play)?

I noticed that DVRUpgrade has a choice of model number TCD648250 and a TCD648250B - what's the difference and does it matter when ordering a replacement drive?

And - I am thinking I have a dying drive because I keep getting a failure notification for one of my cable cards (slot 2 specifically). It pops up on the screen letting me know I need to contact my cable company and inform them I have code 161-4 (I think, might be -2). I've swapped card positions and had the cable company re flash them and the problem stays with slot 2. Often, if we lose power, the TiVo will get stuck in the endless start-up loop unless I eject the cable cards. It will then boot up and when it asks me to install the cards, I insert card 1 - no problem. I insert card 2 and it causes a reboot. On that reboot, sometimes it will work and sometimes it will go into the loop again and I start all over. So, is my assessment of a dying drive somewhat on track?

Thanks for your help - greatly appreciated.

Last edited by rlundstedt; 04-09-2015 at 02:02 PM.
rlundstedt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:49 AM   #10116
jmbach
der Neuerer

The max size hard drive in an S3 is 2TB. If you try to buy a drive larger than that for your S3, it will tell you that the drive size is incompatible with your device and not allow you to add it.

Consider cleaning the contacts of the card slots. You can sometimes accomplish this by popping the card in and out several times.

If that does not work, replace the drive. If that doesn't work, well you may need a new unit.

Thanks For This Post:
Old 04-09-2015, 01:52 PM   #10117
mattack

Quote:
You'd need one of those Intel CPU based Macs that can run Windows however it is that they do it (dual boot?, virtual machine? hope there's a Mac user reading this that can advise), because WinMFS needs to run on Windows XP SP3 or newer, like Vista or 7, and you need to run it as admin.
This is all wrong..

You do not need to do it on Windows.. You can use a Linux boot CD, I did it long in the past. i.e. there is/was a widely used Tivo upgrade CD with all of the tools and such on it, on a bootable CD.

If this is an OLED S3, then you do have to do the copy the "hard way" with the command line copies and such.. If possible, unhook your Mac hard drives before booting into the Linux CD, then you'll prevent accidentally using the wrong drive.

If it's a Tivo HD, you can use the jmfs CD (which is a friendly wrapper around the CLI tools).

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:45 PM   #10118
telemark

JMFS can be made to work on a Mac natively, but I'm guessing the pre-made Linux boot CDs would be slightly easier.

Windows can run on Intel Macs via virtualization if need be. I haven't seen a non-Intel Mac in operation in many years.

telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:00 AM   #10119
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
This is all wrong..

You do not need to do it on Windows.. You can use a Linux boot CD, I did it long in the past. i.e. there is/was a widely used Tivo upgrade CD with all of the tools and such on it, on a bootable CD.

If this is an OLED S3, then you do have to do the copy the "hard way" with the command line copies and such.. If possible, unhook your Mac hard drives before booting into the Linux CD, then you'll prevent accidentally using the wrong drive.

If it's a Tivo HD, you can use the jmfs CD (which is a friendly wrapper around the CLI tools).

I didn't get the feeling the person to whom I was responding was an ideal candidate for doing via the command line.

So I suggested Windows and WinMFS, thinking that might put them in more familiar territory.

Actually the jmfs cd, via

ddrescue

(which is what it uses, and which is available on the jmfs cd once you skip the script and go to the command line)

can copy any S2 or S3 drive to another of equal or greater size.

(the byte-swapped nature of the S1s wouldn't matter, but the "drive locking" would probably screw things up)

It's just the expansion part where you run up against its lack of a "legacy mode".

Old 06-28-2015, 11:20 AM   #10120
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Help! I just upgraded my TiVo HD (652160) to a WD20EURS drive and I'm getting the following loop after powering it up:

1. Welcome! Powering up ..... (as usual)
2. Almost There. Just a few minutes more ..... (as usual).
3. Green screen message that TiVo has encountered a serious problem and is trying to fix it. It may take 3 hours. Do not unplug, etc. ....
4. Back to step 1 and just keeps looping (for 45 mins as of this writing).

Background info:
I checked power supply for bulging caps and measured voltages: 12.36V, 4.93V and 3.32V. This was done with all loads connected.

The upgrade drive was first given the extended WD diagnostic test and passed. It was populated using WinMFS with a truncated backup from my previous drive, which was a WD10EADS. The backup was done months ago when the old drive was exhibiting no problems and the WD20EURS was then shelved. The reason I'm now doing the upgrade is because the TiVo locked up once and spontaneously rebooted once within the last 24 hours (which it hadn't done for years before that). The old drive has almost 6 years on it so failure doesn't seem unlikely.

So is there really any point in letting this loop go on for three hours? Is the most likely assumption that my WD20EURS upgrade has failed? TIA for your advice.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:12 PM   #10121
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Help! I just upgraded my TiVo HD (652160) to a WD20EURS drive and I'm getting the following loop after powering it up:

3. Green screen message that TiVo has encountered a serious problem and is trying to fix it. It may take 3 hours. Do not unplug, etc. ....

Background info:
I checked power supply for bulging caps and measured voltages: 12.36V, 4.93V and 3.32V. This was done with all loads connected.

The upgrade drive was first given the extended WD diagnostic test and passed. It was populated using WinMFS with a truncated backup from my previous drive, which was a WD10EADS. The backup was done months ago when the old drive was exhibiting no problems and the WD20EURS was then shelved. The reason I'm now doing the upgrade is because the TiVo locked up once and spontaneously rebooted once within the last 24 hours (which it hadn't done for years before that). The old drive has almost 6 years on it so failure doesn't seem unlikely.

So is there really any point in letting this loop go on for three hours? Is the most likely assumption that my WD20EURS upgrade has failed? TIA for your advice.
Sounds like you need to download and run the WDIDLE utility, and change the default setting from 8 to 300.

http://wiki.nas4free.org/doku.php?id=faq:0148

dougdingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 06-28-2015, 12:16 PM   #10122
jmbach
der Neuerer

Recheck the drive for errors. Retry the restore. If it still does it, try an image from one of the forum links.

Thanks For This Post:
Old 06-28-2015, 12:35 PM   #10123
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdingle View Post
Sounds like you need to download and run the WDIDLE utility, and change the default setting from 8 to 300.

http://wiki.nas4free.org/doku.php?id=faq:0148
Thanks. However, my understanding was the WD20EURS drives do not have the intellipark issue. I suspect the linked article is a little out of date. Please let me know if I'm wrong about this.

and
Old 06-28-2015, 12:46 PM   #10124
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
Thanks. However, my understanding was the WD20EURS drives do not have the intellipark issue. I suspect the linked article is a little out of date. Please let me know if I'm wrong about this.
I don't know the current state of that model drive. What I do remember, though, is that setting that parameter to 300 used to cure the exact issue you're seeing now.

It's also possible that there's a corrupt image on your drive, or something else has failed. As jmbach suggested, alternate things to try would be (backing up then) restoring the image again, or using another one from those available.

Old 06-28-2015, 06:01 PM   #10125
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:

Background info:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
Recheck the drive for errors. Retry the restore. If it still does it, try an image from one of the forum links.
I ran the WD diagnostics quick check. The drive had just passed the extended check before putting it on the shelf.

I got the 652m.tbk image from the link in unitron's post here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...4#post10193644
With that image installed via WinMFS it booted up OK and I'm well into guided setup with things appearing to be running OK.

EDIT: Uggh! Just realized (after hours of pairing CableCARD and guided setup) that I apparently have to do Clear & Delete -- my TSN was all zeros. I expect this will mean repeating all that stuff. Oh Well! At least I don't have the "green screen of death" now.

and

Last edited by dlfl; 06-28-2015 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:02 PM   #10126
unitron

Quote:
I ran the WD diagnostics quick check. The drive had just passed the extended check before putting it on the shelf.

I got the 652m.tbk image from the link in unitron's post here:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...4#post10193644
With that image installed via WinMFS it booted up OK and I'm well into guided setup with things appearing to be running OK.

EDIT: Uggh! Just realized (after hours of pairing CableCARD and guided setup) that I apparently have to do Clear & Delete -- my TSN was all zeros. I expect this will mean repeating all that stuff. Oh Well! At least I don't have the "green screen of death" now.
When you first restored your own backup to the 2TB drive, did it do that and then ask if you wanted to expand and did you say Yes?

Old 06-28-2015, 10:29 PM   #10127
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
When you first restored your own backup to the 2TB drive, did it do that and then ask if you wanted to expand and did you say Yes?
Did what do what?

In both cases (my own backup and the one linked in your post) I said no and then came back to mfsAdd for the expansion (in WinMFS), if that is what you're asking. However the first restore was done many months ago, so there is the memory issue.

I've completed C&DE, pairing and guided setup -- but (of course) lost all my season passes. I thought there was a way to restore my season passes from tivo.com to the new drive, after C&DE. No? (I don't see it.)

and
Old 06-29-2015, 03:57 PM   #10128
a68oliver

Quote:
I've completed C&DE, pairing and guided setup -- but (of course) lost all my season passes. I thought there was a way to restore my season passes from tivo.com to the new drive, after C&DE. No? (I don't see it.)
I recently copied season passes between a defective box and a replacement/refurb and I had to have both boxes activated at the same time in order to do this. The process appeared to have a limit to the number of season passes it could copy (I had a lot) and it didn't copy all of them.

However, I am not sure there is a way to RESTORE your season passes.

You can get to it by going to My Account - My Shows and in the left hand menu you will find Season Pass Manager. If no one knows how to do it here, I would call and ask.

Tivo HD November 2007 - donated to family
Tivo Roamio Pro 2014
Tivo Mini (2) 2014
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:31 PM   #10129
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
The first time the newly C&DE device connects to mom, mom sees no season passes on the box, and deletes the old ones from the web site as part of its sync operation. Yes, I know...

The only consistently working way to save/restore season passes is to use KMTTG to save them from the old box, and then restore them to the new one. The file containing the season passes lives on your local machine and so the TiVo site can't mess with them.

Thanks For This Post:
Old 06-30-2015, 08:12 AM   #10130
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Well the WD10EADS drive I replaced (with a WD20EURS upgrade) has passed the WD extended diagnostics test! I was hoping it wouldn't since that would explain the lockup and spontaneous reboot. It was in use for almost 6 years so I kind of expected it would be the problem.

I read somewhere that even the extended test can't detect all problems -- is that true?

Although my power supply shows no bulging caps and the voltages are good, I understand it could still have problems. So I guess my strategy is to run with the upgraded HDD and see if more lockups or reboots occur. At that point I will either re-cap or replace the power supply.

BTW, I use component outputs, so HDMI issues cannot be the problem.

Any other suggestions?

and
Old 06-30-2015, 11:12 AM   #10131
jmbach
der Neuerer

I use HDD Guardian to examine the drive while it is hooked to the computer. I find it useful as it tells me more information about errors and pending errors that the manufacturer diagnostic might look over because it did not cross a particular threshold.

I had a similar problem with my S3 a while back. Somehow a write to the MFS header became corrupted and caused the reboot issue. I was unable to fix it and lost my shows but another TCF member had the same issue but was able to correct the MFS header and saved his drive and shows.

Thanks For This Post:
Old 06-30-2015, 04:30 PM   #10132
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
I use HDD Guardian to examine the drive while it is hooked to the computer. I find it useful as it tells me more information about errors and pending errors that the manufacturer diagnostic might look over because it did not cross a particular threshold.

I had a similar problem with my S3 a while back. Somehow a write to the MFS header became corrupted and caused the reboot issue. I was unable to fix it and lost my shows but another TCF member had the same issue but was able to correct the MFS header and saved his drive and shows.
I use a USB-SATA adapter to connect my TiVo HDD to my PC. It's only USB2 and for example takes 9+ hours to run the WD Diagnostics extended test on a 1 TB drive. Do you know if HDD Guardian will run OK with that slow connection?

Also I'm wondering which tests are likely to detect problems that the WD Diagnostics didn't?

and
Old 06-30-2015, 04:48 PM   #10133
jmbach
der Neuerer

HDD Guardian does not do any testing, it just reads SMART details. It tells you more when the drive is connected via SATA or eSata.

It is more that the WD diagnostic does not report all issues until the issue reaches a certain threshold.

Thanks For This Post: