TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-15-2015, 06:05 PM   #991
Sparky1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
How much time do you estimate using the "Tiny TiVo" trick saved?
How would you rate my guides on using it?
Do you feel anything was unclear, or could use further explanation?
Did you use Installer Express mode from page 2 of guided setup, by pressing enter to display advanced options?
Did you leave the coax input disconnected from any signal at all, until it was time to pair the cable card?
Did you really do the CC pairing and set-up the TA, before putting in your actual zip and provider lineup, as your report seems to say?

I ask, since I found that trick by seeing what would happen if I fed a Premiere 00000 as a zip code, then tried all options, and decided Tiny TiVo was the ticket to save me hours (by the end, for just that project, days) of time, while doing some experimentation, where I had to keep doing GS over and over, but did not actually need/want guide data. Combined with Installer Express mode, it was a godsend!

I recently compared network captures of traffic using Tiny TiVo versus using real provider data, and found, as suspected, there are some cleanup routines in there, and there is no smaller guide data file that can be downloaded. It's pretty much empty.

I was thinking that before fate rips me away from the forum, I might create a proper thread, just for guides on using Tiny TiVo while doing any number of things, on just about any TiVo. There are different versions scattered all around from past write-ups, for specific situations. But, searching this forum for anything, even if you know what you are looking for, can be such a futile exercise. Why not save more time, by making it easier to learn Tiny TiVo is a valuable diagnostic tool, and time saver for tinkerers/devs option, and centralize the guides, right?
Tiny TiVo saved me about 20-25 minutes. This short cut allowed me to verify everything was working before committing the time needed to complete the full TiVo update.

A separate thread with a Tiny TiVo how to would be helpful. It would need to be linked back to other imaging how to threads. 00000 zip code and Tiny TiVo is not very well known. I vote go for it....

Sparky1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:29 AM   #992
goofyhalo

Any chance I can get the TCD746320 image? My wife's TiVo started GSOD'ing , I have a spare (500GB) drive, but haven't been able to get a working image off the failed drive

goofyhalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:33 AM   #993
telemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyhalo View Post
Any chance I can get the TCD746320 image? My wife's TiVo started GSOD'ing , I have a spare (500GB) drive, but haven't been able to get a working image off the failed drive
You might want a 500GB image.

telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:42 AM   #994
goofyhalo

If there's a 500GB image around, sure! Right now I was just looking to get it up and running again, I figured I could look into resizing the partitions to fit the drive later.

goofyhalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM   #995
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyhalo View Post
If there's a 500GB image around, sure! Right now I was just looking to get it up and running again, I figured I could look into resizing the partitions to fit the drive later.
PM sent. Sorry I don't have a 500GB 746 image, but you can expand it with jmfs.

ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM   #996
SamuraiSkye

TiVo Premiere XL (TCD748000)

Hello! I hope this is the right place to ask, but I'm in need of the image file for a TiVo Premiere XL (TCD748000). I'm just replacing the existing drive that failed with one of the same size. Thanks in advance!

SamuraiSkye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:36 PM   #997
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiSkye View Post
Hello! I hope this is the right place to ask, but I'm in need of the image file for a TiVo Premiere XL (TCD748000). I'm just replacing the existing drive that failed with one of the same size. Thanks in advance!
This is the right thread. Check your Private Messages for the link.

ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote