TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old Yesterday, 07:06 AM   #8101
brendag4

installation and quality loss

Can someone answer my post a few posts back, or tell me where to find the answer thanks

brendag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:04 AM   #8102
justen_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendag4 View Post
I am not sure how to set up ktmmg. It says to fully extract it, but there only seems to be 1 zip file. I had it working once.. but now when I try to load it, it flashes the screen and beeps.
What OS? I've only installed and used it on Linux (Ubuntu distro). What flashes on the screen? In any case, just google "wiki kmttg" and go to the first link or click http://sourceforge.net/p/kmttg/wiki/Home/ there are installation instructions for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
Quote:
Does using ktmmg reduce the quality of the original video?
It depends on what you use it for. Short answer is no, long answer is yes.
1)In the simplest use case, kmttg simply pulls files from your TiVo to your PC. It leaves them in .TiVo format. The files on your computer are identical to the files on your TiVo. No quality loss.
2)A tiny more complicated, and my most common use case, is I transfer a file from my TiVo to PC, decrypt it and extract the metadata, leaving an .mpg and .txt. The mpeg-2 is simply the .TiVo file stripped of encryption. It will play with the player of your choosing on any PC (Windows, Mac, Linux). No quality loss.
3)A bit even more complicated, is when you pipe the output of the above through another round of transcoding, converting the .mpg to another video format. e.g. most phones and tablets won't play mpeg-2, so I might want to convert to mpeg-4. There are lots of options for this phase. You can change the bit rate, resolution, compression ratio, etc. This will obviously affect PQ, but in the least lossy scenario it isn't noticeable. Transcoding can be fairly slow, depending on your system.

Those are my most common uses. There is also stuff like Ad Cut, the ability to push stuff to your TiVo from your PC, etc, but I haven't used those. For the latter, I run pyTivo and pull stuff from my server to my TiVo.

[edit] This is my simple, basic understanding. I could be wrong. Well, not about one.

Last edited by justen_m; Yesterday at 08:11 AM.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote