TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-05-2016, 03:02 PM   #9301
ej42137

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
For series 4 and later if you just use the "RPC for NPL" option there is no 2 step process to get NPL listings. For series 3 there is.
Yes, this was on a Series 3. I don't really see my situation as an problem now that I know how it works.

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:33 PM   #9302
justen_m

Question one: Transfer speed question here... Just out of curiosity. WTF determines it? Sometimes, during the day, when I am pulling stuff in TS format off my Roamio Plus on my gigabit network, I just get barely 90Mbps. I've gotten speeds near 200Mbps at other times. First, I thought it was because it was after a reboot, all my tuners were on the same channel, recording just one buffer, etc. That is clearly not the case. At the moment I am getting a steady 190Mbps from my Roamio Plus, connected wired to my gigabit router, over the air 5.0GHz AC to my laptop. While simultaneously recording 4 shows on my Roamio. It always seem slower during the day. There is tons of 2.4GHz interference where I am (in an apt building), but just one or two other 5GHz networks.

This is combined download/decrypt with TivoLibre in both cases. Anybody have any clue as to how to maximize this? Doesn't really matter, because this isn't anywhere close to the bottleneck in my pipeline, compared to qsfix/addetect/adcut being diskbound, and endode being cpubound.

Question two: Anyone with a computer that has an Nvidia card AND Intel graphics manage to get TivoLibre to use the latter for decode? I've got drop down options letting me choose to use Nvidia or Intel Integrated Graphics when I launch apps. Both are available. When I run Archivo, it SAYS it is using hardware, and the log file says it is, but handbrake in its case is using ffpmeg on my CPU, based on analysis.

On my workstation and server that don't have integrated Intel graphics, fine. Let the multi-core Xeons churn away. I haven't been able to figure out a way to get my laptop to use its 5th gen i5-5200 (Intel HD 5500 integrated graphics). Based on responses in various threads, this should be faster when transcoding to mp4 than my Xeons. I'd love if I could get that working. I suppose I could try disabling the NVidia 950M GTX card in BIOS, or even pulling it, if that's possible. This is an ASUS gaming laptop.

Last edited by justen_m; 02-05-2016 at 10:39 PM.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:13 AM   #9303
lpwcomp

One note on the above post: even if all of the tuners are on the same channel, the TiVo is still recording a live buffer for each one.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:18 AM   #9304
ACraigL

Quote:
v2.1i version is now released which contains a Windows binary update to handbrake that supports Intel Quick Sync GPU encoder and an accompanying "hb_qsv_h264" sample encoding profile. NOTE: You are better off using VideoRedo Quick Sync encoder if you have VideoRedo since it uses less CPU compared to handbrake.

Perhaps more importantly this release incorporates latest 0.7.3 version of tivolibre with fixes to TS TiVo file decryption that were affecting some users.

Consult release_notes for all the details.
Thanks for this update! I have an onboard Intel HD4000 just sitting around doing nothing, so I was excited to give this a try. Unfortunately, it does not appear to be encoding at all.

I updated the tools package and am using the sample encoding profile, but the handbrake job runs continuously, and the CLI is using no CPU at all. I was ok with that assuming the GPU was doing it's job, but the mp4 file that was created is stuck at 1k for over 20 minutes. I have an Intel Core i5-3570K (Ivy Bridge) so it should be compatible.

Any ideas?

Old 02-07-2016, 09:41 AM   #9305
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACraigL View Post
Thanks for this update! I have an onboard Intel HD4000 just sitting around doing nothing, so I was excited to give this a try. Unfortunately, it does not appear to be encoding at all.

I updated the tools package and am using the sample encoding profile, but the handbrake job runs continuously, and the CLI is using no CPU at all. I was ok with that assuming the GPU was doing it's job, but the mp4 file that was created is stuck at 1k for over 20 minutes. I have an Intel Core i5-3570K (Ivy Bridge) so it should be compatible.

Any ideas?
Hmm, before release I tried a few encodes without trouble. But as it happens today when I tried one the 1st time it hung up. Then I tried a different source video file and it worked.

To see handbrake output double-click on the encode job in kmttg job window. If it works you should see something like this in stderr:
Quote:
[07:26:47] OpenCL device #1: Intel(R) Corporation Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
[07:26:47] - OpenCL version: 1.2
[07:26:47] - driver version: 20.19.15.4331
[07:26:47] - device type: GPU
[07:26:47] - supported: YES
[07:26:47] Intel Quick Sync Video support: yes
[07:26:47] - Intel Media SDK hardware: API 1.17 (minimum: 1.3)
[07:26:47] - H.264 encoder: yes
[07:26:47] - preferred implementation: hardware (any)
When it hangs/doesn't work I see this (and file just sits at 1K forever as you mentioned):
Quote:
Error code -17, av_qsv_wait_on_sync 642
Note that after switching to a different source video that worked I went back to try one that didn't and this time it worked, so seems a little fickle but not sure why...

EDIT: After some searching ov "av_qsv_wait_on_sync" it looks like it's related to Intel qsv driver under some circumstances:
http://mcebuddy1.rssing.com/chan-6026845/all_p233.html
Quote:
4. Suddenly my encoding time is taking very long or for some video it takes a long time
Very likely your Intel driver is buggy and is causing issues. Use the version 10.18.10.3379 and it should resolve your issues. Latest drivers are not always the most stable or faster drivers.

If you have a bugger driver, the symptoms may vary, from slow encoding to hanging the system, crashing the system or error messages in the logs. An example of a buggy driver or if you're running heavy graphics apps/games while using hardware encoding can take the wind out of the Intel driver and causing it to run out of resources, you might see things like this in the log:

2014-04-15T20:43:36 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Handbrake --> Encoding: task 1 of 1, 0.02 %[20:43:36] qsv_enc_init: using 'hardware (1)' implementation, API: 1.3
2014-04-15T20:43:36 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Handbrake --> Error code -1, av_qsv_wait_on_sync 642
2014-04-15T20:43:36 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Handbrake --> Error code -1, av_qsv_wait_on_sync 642
2014-04-15T20:43:36 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Handbrake --> Encoding: tasError code -1, av_qsv_wait_on_sync 642
2014-04-15T20:43:36 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Handbrake --> Encoding: task 1 of 1, 0.06 %not enough to have 10 sync point(s) allocated
2014-04-15T20:43:36 MCEBuddy.AppWrapper.Handbrake --> ERROR: qsv: Not enough resources allocated for QSV encode
Note that I've used QSV encoding built into VideoRedo for a while now and haven't run into issues with that yet, and as a bonus it only uses 30-40% CPU vs close to 100% with Handbrake GPU encoding (both encode video much faster than just using software encoding).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by moyekj; 02-07-2016 at 09:54 AM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 02-07-2016, 11:01 AM   #9306
ACraigL

Thanks for the info. I'll look into what driver (if any) I'm using and adjust accordingly. This is a clean Windows 10 install, so I didn't know that was something I needed to maintain. Will post back with my results.

EDIT: In searching for the drivers, I came across this video which shows how to enable the display to VGA to allow QSV to be active.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c4_qSWEg2U

The very next video I tried converted using that profile. I can't say for sure it's any faster, but Handbrake did use much less CPU (~40% vs 100%). And my stderr:

Quote:
[13:07:40] CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz
[13:07:40] - Intel microarchitecture Ivy Bridge
[13:07:40] - logical processor count: 4
[13:07:40] OpenCL device #1: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Tonga
[13:07:40] - OpenCL version: 2.0 AMD-APP (1912.5)
[13:07:40] - driver version: 1912.5 (VM)
[13:07:40] - device type: GPU
[13:07:40] - supported: YES
[13:07:40] Intel Quick Sync Video support: yes
[13:07:40] - Intel Media SDK hardware: API 1.11 (minimum: 1.3)
[13:07:40] - H.264 encoder: yes
[13:07:40] - preferred implementation: hardware (any)
So it looks like I might need to update my SDK? I'll try the other source and see if still bombs out.

Last edited by ACraigL; 02-07-2016 at 02:32 PM.
ACraigL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:05 PM   #9307
lew

There seems to be some issues using qsv if you're also using a discrete graphics card. Anyone in that situation should first, temporarily, pull the card and using intel onboard graphics. If that solves the problem use google to see how to make it work with your hardware configuration. One poster, I don't remember what board, said buying an HDMI monitor emulator, a $10-$20 dongle which plugs into the MB HDMI output, was the most reliable answer.

lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:34 PM   #9308
ACraigL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
There seems to be some issues using qsv if you're also using a discrete graphics card. Anyone in that situation should first, temporarily, pull the card and using intel onboard graphics. If that solves the problem use google to see how to make it work with your hardware configuration. One poster, I don't remember what board, said buying an HDMI monitor emulator, a $10-$20 dongle which plugs into the MB HDMI output, was the most reliable answer.
As mentioned above, enabling the intel video to VGA might do something similar? I'm still playing with settings as the sample encoder file is producing files too big for my liking, but will test consistency as I do fall into the situation you described, above.

Here's the link to that video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c4_qSWEg2U

EDIT: The source that failed earlier is now working after enabling the video to VGA as described above. Will keep an eye on it going forward.

Last edited by ACraigL; 02-07-2016 at 03:07 PM.
ACraigL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:47 PM   #9309
SlimTrigger

I have used kmttg for several years, now on version 2.1i. Trying to download a very large TiVo file (approx 35 GB), but kmttg will only download approximately 20 GB. The program proceeds as if everything is fine and proceeds to decrypt the file, and the resulting MPG file will play just fine. The problem is I cannot obtain the last 15 GB of the program!
Is there a maximum file size parameter that I am not finding?
Using a TiVo Bolt so file download is quite fast - don't believe I'm "timing out"
New to this forum, and have tried several searches for this problem with no luck.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

SlimTrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 03:56 PM   #9310
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimTrigger View Post
I have used kmttg for several years, now on version 2.1i. Trying to download a very large TiVo file (approx 35 GB), but kmttg will only download approximately 20 GB. The program proceeds as if everything is fine and proceeds to decrypt the file, and the resulting MPG file will play just fine. The problem is I cannot obtain the last 15 GB of the program!
Is there a maximum file size parameter that I am not finding?
Using a TiVo Bolt so file download is quite fast - don't believe I'm "timing out"
New to this forum, and have tried several searches for this problem with no luck.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
https://sourceforge.net/p/kmttg/wiki/Resume_Downloads/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:27 AM   #9311
SlimTrigger

Moyekj - Thanks very, very much!!

SlimTrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:46 PM   #9312
elprice7345

Quote:
What tool are you getting the duration from (and do different tools agree on the duration)? A difference of 3 minutes for Show 1 should be fairly obvious to determine visually if there actually is any video missing or if it's just inaccurate estimate of duration.

Anecdotally, I've been using TS transfers for over 2 years now (with VRD to decrypt) and have never noticed any missing video segments.
Incorrect: [So I downloaded the same show again using process 1 (DL to PS, tivolibre decrypt, QS Fix) and got an even smaller file -04:35.]

Correct: {So I downloaded the same show again using process 2 (DL to TS, tivolibre decrypt, QS Fix) and got an even smaller file -04:35.}

I ran VRD AdScan on both files and was able to narrow down the differences. I couldn't find any issues or glitches in the original PS file, but found a significant gap in the TS file. Segments are definitely missing.

I've checked the durations with MediaInfo, JRiver Media Center and VLC and they all show the same duration +/- a second.

Are your shows h.264? Could that be the difference?

Anecdotally, it seems to happen more often (and/or be more severe) with SD shows.

I'm fine with the PS download process for now. It works reliably and I'm not usually concerned too much about speed. I worry about what will happen in the future when Comcast Houston moves to h.264.

Windows 10 x64

Last edited by elprice7345; 02-11-2016 at 11:57 AM.
elprice7345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 04:52 PM   #9313
moyekj

elprice7345, have you used VRD for decrypt instead of tivolibre just to rule out if it's tivolibre doing something strange decrypting TS files? (Obviously you need at least a partial TiVo Desktop installation for that). I doubt that's the issue but it's worth a try to take tivolibre out of the picture just to be sure. If that still fails then the conclusion would be that the TiVo web server delivery of TS transfers has problems (in which case there's nothing that can be done about it).

Old 02-10-2016, 05:03 PM   #9314
lpwcomp

Quote:
elprice7345, have you used VRD for decrypt instead of tivolibre just to rule out if it's tivolibre doing something strange decrypting TS files? (Obviously you need at least a partial TiVo Desktop installation for that). I doubt that's the issue but it's worth a try to take tivolibre out of the picture just to be sure. If that still fails then the conclusion would be that the TiVo web server delivery of TS transfers has problems (in which case there's nothing that can be done about it).
I'm seeing glitches and dropped (usually < second) sequences using VRD for ts decryption. The one time I tried tivolibre, it was worse.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:26 PM   #9315
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

TC CLUB MEMBER
Anyone tried using DeVo for decryption? Its been posted elsewhere on TCF.

Juliet Basic (4XL, PLS)

~~~~~

No Amazon Prime? Join
and start streaming!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:32 PM   #9316
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Anyone tried using DeVo for decryption? Its been posted elsewhere on TCF.
Yes, I tried it, but if you read the DeVo thread it had issues for both PS and TS decryption for me.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:45 PM   #9317
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I'm seeing glitches and dropped (usually < second) sequences using VRD for ts decryption. The one time I tried tivolibre, it was worse.
Consistently on all TS downloads? I haven't noticed trouble for my recordings (mpeg2 TS downloads of HD channels - I don't record anything on SD channels).

Old 02-10-2016, 06:23 PM   #9318
lpwcomp

Quote:
Consistently on all TS downloads? I haven't noticed trouble for my recordings (mpeg2 TS downloads of HD channels - I don't record anything on SD channels).
Most TS downloads. From HD channels, both mpeg2 and h.264.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:44 PM   #9319
moyekj

Quote:
Most TS downloads. From HD channels, both mpeg2 and h.264.
Guess that means you'll be SOL if/when H.264 channels become the majority.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:05 PM   #9320
ACraigL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACraigL View Post
As mentioned above, enabling the intel video to VGA might do something similar? I'm still playing with settings as the sample encoder file is producing files too big for my liking, but will test consistency as I do fall into the situation you described, above.

Here's the link to that video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c4_qSWEg2U

EDIT: The source that failed earlier is now working after enabling the video to VGA as described above. Will keep an eye on it going forward.
Just a follow-up here... it's working flawlessly since I enabled the VGA output, no drivers other than what comes with default windows 10. Thanks for this awesome update!

Old 02-10-2016, 08:09 PM   #9321
lpwcomp

Quote:
Guess that means you'll be SOL if/when H.264 channels become the majority.
They already are. Doesn't matter anyway. I want the closed captions and they get garbled by a PS download.

The glitches and drops are merely annoying and in no way make it un-watchable. There's usually only one or two in an hour show.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:57 AM   #9322
wmcbrine
Ziphead

Quote:
They already are. Doesn't matter anyway. I want the closed captions and they get garbled by a PS download.
PS downloads are fine; it's the PS upload (i.e. back to the TiVo) that kills the captions.

wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:08 AM   #9323
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
PS downloads are fine; it's the PS upload (i.e. back to the TiVo) that kills the captions.
Not in my experience.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:51 AM   #9324
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I think you guys are talking about 2 different things:
1. wmcbrine - There's a long standing bug TiVo side bug for series 4 and later TiVos if you transfer shows back to TiVo using PS container the captions are lost.
2. lpwcomp - PS transfers from TiVo corrupting captions vs TS not.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:25 PM   #9325
elprice7345

Quote:
In my earlier posted results, http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...9#post10786609, process 3 was DL to TS, combined QS Fix & decrypt. Using VRD to decrypt TS files caused fewer drops than with tivolibre, but still more drops than with PS downloads.

@moyekj - I agree with you "that the TiVo web server delivery of TS transfers has problems (in which case there's nothing that can be done about it)"

For now, I'll stick with the PS downloads --> combined QS Fix & decrypt

The most reliable process I've tried is PS downloads, and then using either tivolibre or QS Fix to decrypt. The decryption method didn't seem to matter as much with PS downloads.

If I have to download in TS format, decrypting while running QS Fix is much more reliable.

Downloading in TS format, decrypting using tivolibre and the running QS Fix was the least reliable.

Other observations:
* The gaps seem to be longer with SD shows. @moyekj - Since you don't record any SD shows, maybe that's why I'm seeing the issue more than you?
* I've gotten different show durations using the same process and downloading multiple times. I'm not sure why I would get different results following the same process with the same show?

@moyekj - Is there any value in trying to improve the tivolibre results? I'm content with the process I have now and if no one else is concerned ...

Windows 10 x64
elprice7345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:55 PM   #9326
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by elprice7345 View Post
@moyekj - Is there any value in trying to improve the tivolibre results? I'm content with the process I have now and if no one else is concerned ...
It would be worth it for the long run and for those that don't use Windows since DirectShow is a Windows only solution. Note that Todd (author of tivolibre) intentionally does some things differently than DirectShow but mentioned he may entertain adding a flag such that the intent is to produce a binary identical output to DirectShow. The other factor going on here is if you're using VRD it does some "fixing" of the stream on its own, so a real fair comparison of decryption methods would be to compare the output of DSD and tivolibre, not VRD vs tivolibre.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:29 PM   #9327
lpwcomp

Quote:
It would be worth it for the long run and for those that don't use Windows since DirectShow is a Windows only solution. Note that Todd (author of tivolibre) intentionally does some things differently than DirectShow but mentioned he may entertain adding a flag such that the intent is to produce a binary identical output to DirectShow. The other factor going on here is if you're using VRD it does some "fixing" of the stream on its own, so a real fair comparison of decryption methods would be to compare the output of DSD and tivolibre, not VRD vs tivolibre.
Datum: I see the problems even if I open the .tivo file with VRD. AFAIK, the only relevant thing in play at that point is the DirectShow filter.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:38 AM   #9328
Teeps

Something changed this morning with my Roamio basic with software ver. 20.5.6.RC21-USA-6-846

I could not transfer OTA recordings from Roamio to PC, via kmttg.

Short story: soft reboot of Roamio fixed the problem; sorry don't have exact text of the message.

Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 05:19 PM   #9329
normx004

KMTTG puzzle

I have one TiVo, a relatively new Roamio. I have it registered in kmttg v2.1a; I can download the "my shows" list just fine.

However, when I click on the "remote" tab, and try to get my "todo" list, I can't because the pulldown button in the "todo list - button - refresh - cancel - modify - export" row of buttons is not populated...it is blank except for the inverted triangle, and when I click on it, nothing happens.

Have I missed some configuration detail? Or is this a bug?

Thanks!

normx004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 11:27 PM   #9330
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by normx004 View Post
I have one TiVo, a relatively new Roamio. I have it registered in kmttg v2.1a; I can download the "my shows" list just fine.

However, when I click on the "remote" tab, and try to get my "todo" list, I can't because the pulldown button in the "todo list - button - refresh - cancel - modify - export" row of buttons is not populated...it is blank except for the inverted triangle, and when I click on it, nothing happens.

Have I missed some configuration detail? Or is this a bug?

Thanks!
Before anything else you need to run Help->Update kmttg

Thanks For This Post: