TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-11-2015, 07:31 PM   #2701
jmbach
der Neuerer

Currently you will have to compile it from source but it does work. An ISO will be out eventually.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:51 AM   #2702
Anotherpyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anotherpyr View Post
Newegg is showing the WD20PURX as the latest version. Anyone tried these? Or is it worth buying the older EURX version?
Found the answer in a thread on hard disks. Purple (PURX) bad, green (EURX) good.

Anotherpyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:24 PM   #2703
calvinko

Have an already expanded 2TB using Ross Walked method in a TIVO Premier. Just purchased a 4TB WD40EZRX drive. Tried to use the same method, copied fine. However, cannot expand. Got message "expand did not finish successfully"

What do I need to do?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

calvinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:50 PM   #2704
lexsar

I am attempting to clone over, expand and supersize my 320GB drive from a Premiere to a 2TB WD20EURX. Using jmfs version 104. I started it last night. It went through the copy and is now on "Retrying bad sectors ... Retry 1". It has been about 22 hours. Errsize: 450kb, errors: 94.

I ran WD Diagnostics on the WD20EURX prior to starting this and it checked out OK.

I am stuck here, any advice?

1 - HTPC (homebrew) running Win7 Ultimate

Last edited by lexsar; 08-16-2015 at 09:10 PM.
lexsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:17 AM   #2705
philco782

Tried to upgrade 500gb Premiere 4.

I tried this jmfs boot cd to upgrade my Premier4 500gb drive to a 4tb drive. I got a WD40PURX drive, and it seems to be working fine, even though I hear people not liking the Purple drives. I dunno, seemed like a good choice at the time I bought it, so I'm going to just go with it. So far its been in the Tivo for about a week and its running great.

Well, the way the JMFS method worked was, apparently, to do what amounts to a block by block copy from the old 500gb drive to the 4tb drive. Then the new 4tb drive has the exact same 14 partition layout that the old 500gb drive has. Running the Expand operation, it creates a 15th MFS partition of 2 TB. So now, the drive has roughly 2.5 TB of usable space. 1.5 TB is just vacant, unused, and unusable at the moment.

My current interpretation of how the JMFS method works for going 500gb -> 4tb, please correct me if wrong, is that I need a 2tb "intermediate" drive, where I run the JMFS disc to copy the 500tb to the 2tb drive. Then Expand. Then rearrange and copy partitions from 2tb to 4tb. Then coalesce two partitions. Then install 4tb into Premiere. Boot premiere. Tivo divorces a partition. Put 4tb back into computer. Run expand operation again.

Somewhere, I think I read that MFSTools 3.2 can do this without an intermediate drive step. The MFSTools 3.2 live CD has gone missing, but I managed to find the source code and get it compiled in an Ubuntu Live USB key. So I have this MFSTools 3.2 available to use right now.

The trick is, the documentation is quite sparse on MFSTools. Does anyone know what commands would be necessary to go directly from 500gb to 4tb with MFSTools?

philco782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:16 PM   #2706
jmbach
der Neuerer

mfstool copy - a /dev/sdX /dev/sdY. This will copy and save recordings.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:18 PM   #2707
jmbach
der Neuerer

As far as the JMFS expansion to 4TB, you will need a 2TB intermediate drive as you indicated.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:32 AM   #2708
lexsar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexsar View Post
I am attempting to clone over, expand and supersize my 320GB drive from a Premiere to a 2TB WD20EURX. Using jmfs version 104. I started it last night. It went through the copy and is now on "Retrying bad sectors ... Retry 1". It has been about 22 hours. Errsize: 450kb, errors: 94.

I ran WD Diagnostics on the WD20EURX prior to starting this and it checked out OK.

I am stuck here, any advice?
Update: I ran DvrBARS to make a backup image of my original drive and it ran into errors and did not complete. The Tivo Premiere itself, seems to have no apparent issues but I now, more than ever, want to get this 2TB drive working in it. I am thinking now that my best bet is to get a TCD746320 image somewhere and start fresh. Ideas?

Old 08-18-2015, 10:06 AM   #2709
jmbach
der Neuerer

Several ideas.

- Run spinrite on the drive level 4 (May take a couple of days to finish) when the drive is connected either via SATA or eSata then retry the above.

-Run MFSTools 3.2 to copy the 320GB to the 2TB. Use the command mfstool copy -a /dev/sdX /dev/sdY if you want to try and save recordings. Leave the -a out if you do not want to save recordings.

-With the drive connected via SATA or eSata, use HDD Raw Copy Tool to copy the drive.

Thanks For This Post:
Old 08-18-2015, 10:14 AM   #2710
lexsar

I have Spinrite so I will give this a shot and report back. Thanks!!

Old 08-19-2015, 01:37 AM   #2711
philco782

Well I tried the MFSTools method tonight. Unfortunately the process core dumped and then made the destination drive, which had a jmfs copy on it, unreadable to the TiVo. So I'm jmfs'ing the original drive over again :-(.

I guess the mfstools live disc was pulled for a very good reason!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-19-2015, 01:38 AM   #2712
philco782

:-(

Old 08-19-2015, 07:39 AM   #2713
jmbach
der Neuerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by philco782 View Post
Well I tried the MFSTools method tonight. Unfortunately the process core dumped and then made the destination drive, which had a jmfs copy on it, unreadable to the TiVo. So I'm jmfs'ing the original drive over again :-(.

I guess the mfstools live disc was pulled for a very good reason!

So MFSTools is copying from a drive to a destination drive that has your JMFS copy on it? So what does your source drive has on it?

Old 08-19-2015, 08:24 AM   #2714
philco782

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
So MFSTools is copying from a drive to a destination drive that has your JMFS copy on it? So what does your source drive has on it?

The source drive is the original 500gb TiVo factory installed drive. The destination drive is the new 4tb drive. I've been using the 4tb in the TiVo for the past week, which was created with jmfs, and only has 2.5tb usable space on it. I was hoping that since MFSTool crashed during what seemed like the "analyzing source drive" step, it would have left my 4tb drive alone but it didn't, it must've wiped the layout of the 4tb drive and then crashed trying to write. So to get the 4tb back into operation again, I has to do another jmfs copy from the 500gb to the 4tb.

I may just have to wait till I have free cash to buy a 2tb drive to do the intermediate drive method using jmfs.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:16 AM   #2715
lexsar

Quote:
Several ideas.

- Run spinrite on the drive level 4 (May take a couple of days to finish) when the drive is connected either via SATA or eSata then retry the above.

-Run MFSTools 3.2 to copy the 320GB to the 2TB. Use the command mfstool copy -a /dev/sdX /dev/sdY if you want to try and save recordings. Leave the -a out if you do not want to save recordings.

-With the drive connected via SATA or eSata, use HDD Raw Copy Tool to copy the drive.
Success!!!

I couldn't locate my copy of Spinrite and MFTools wouldn't fully boot, it seemed, so I went with your third suggestion. I copied the drive over with HDD Raw Copy Tool then ran jmfs to expand then supersize. After reinstalling the 2TB drive into my Tivo Premiere, it booted up fine with 318hrs of HD space!

Thanks for your help, jmbach!!

Old 08-20-2015, 08:41 AM   #2716
jmbach
der Neuerer

You are welcome. Since it booted up, the bad spots on the original drive were in non critical areas. Consequently, you may have some recordings with glitches in them.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:16 AM   #2717
lexsar

Quote:
You are welcome. Since it booted up, the bad spots on the original drive were in non critical areas. Consequently, you may have some recordings with glitches in them.
No worries, there were only about 10 episodes of a single in standard def transferred from an old S2 that are expendable. Thanks again!

Old 08-22-2015, 11:46 PM   #2718
philco782

Thanks JMBach for your advice and help. I got your message but cant reply until I have x number of postings so id like to express my thanks. I will keep posted as to how the future upgrade goes, once I can find the free time :-)

Old 08-24-2015, 08:59 AM   #2719
krausswilliam

? regarding using images instead of copying drives

I think I know the answer.

copy tivo image (*.vhd) onto drive using dvrbars
then use jmfs to expand, supersize.

is there any way to do this all in jmfs? or mfstools? without having to work in windows at all and avoiding one step altogether?

thanks,

krausswilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:45 AM   #2720
jmbach
der Neuerer

You could make a backup with MFSTools 3.2 and then restore from that backup. MFSTools 3.2 will automatically expand the backup while restoring to make use of the whole drive.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:47 AM   #2721
TiVoJimmy

Priemere 746320 1TB to 3TB

I attempted to upgrade my Premiere 746320 from 1 TB to 3TB last weekend but failed.

Originally, this was a 320GB which I copy and expanded to the 1TB. So I treated the 1 TB as the intermediate drive.

I used JMFS 1.05 using the following:

Code:
./tivo_copy_rearranged.sh /dev/1TB_drive /dev/3TB_drive 1 11 12 13 15 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 10
Then verified:

Code:
./mfslayout.sh /dev/3TB_drive
Then coalesce partitions:

Code:
./tivo_coalesce.sh /dev/DestinationDrive 12 13
That was all okay. Then removed the 3TB drive from the PC and installed in the TiVo to divorce the missing partition. Once it was divorced and the TiVo started rebooting, I pulled the plug. I did not wait for it to be completely up.

Next I put the 3TB back in the PC and booted JMFS. I walked away from my PC for a minute, when I returned I found that the PC booted into WIN 7, not JMFS off the CD.

When I tried to run JMFS to expand, JMFS stated it could not find a TiVo drive.

I verified the drive was there by finding the name, device location:

Code:
dmesg | less
Could it have failed because I pulled the drive from the TiVo before it was completely up after the divorce and reboot? Or could it be because the PC booted into WIN 7 while the drive was connected?

Anyways, I plan on trying again tomorrow. If anyone could point out something I missed it would be appreciated.

Oh, forgot to mention, I tried putting the 3TB in the TiVo after JMFS could not find it. The TiVo this time was stuck on Starting Up screen. I waited 20 minutes before pulling the plug.

Thanks,

Jim

TiVoJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:17 PM   #2722
ducker

isn't the cap on a Premier 2TB?

Old 08-28-2015, 01:28 PM   #2723
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducker View Post
isn't the cap on a Premier 2TB?
No, that limit went away somewhere around the 20.3.x software. 4TB is fairly easy these days and I think jmbach has built a 6TB Premiere.

ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:09 PM   #2724
jmbach
der Neuerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJimmy View Post
I attempted to upgrade my Premiere 746320 from 1 TB to 3TB last weekend but failed.

Originally, this was a 320GB which I copy and expanded to the 1TB. So I treated the 1 TB as the intermediate drive.

I used JMFS 1.05 using the following:

Code:
./tivo_copy_rearranged.sh /dev/1TB_drive /dev/3TB_drive 1 11 12 13 15 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 10
Then verified:

Code:
./mfslayout.sh /dev/3TB_drive
Then coalesce partitions:

Code:
./tivo_coalesce.sh /dev/DestinationDrive 12 13
That was all okay. Then removed the 3TB drive from the PC and installed in the TiVo to divorce the missing partition. Once it was divorced and the TiVo started rebooting, I pulled the plug. I did not wait for it to be completely up.

Next I put the 3TB back in the PC and booted JMFS. I walked away from my PC for a minute, when I returned I found that the PC booted into WIN 7, not JMFS off the CD.

When I tried to run JMFS to expand, JMFS stated it could not find a TiVo drive.

I verified the drive was there by finding the name, device location:

Code:
dmesg | less
Could it have failed because I pulled the drive from the TiVo before it was completely up after the divorce and reboot? Or could it be because the PC booted into WIN 7 while the drive was connected?

Anyways, I plan on trying again tomorrow. If anyone could point out something I missed it would be appreciated.

Oh, forgot to mention, I tried putting the 3TB in the TiVo after JMFS could not find it. The TiVo this time was stuck on Starting Up screen. I waited 20 minutes before pulling the plug.

Thanks,

Jim
The steps look correct. Not sure what went wrong. I would let the TiVo boot back up completely after the divorce and then navigate to the screen to initiate a restart. Pull the plug after all the lights flash.

If your Windows machine automatically initializes any new drive it sees, then that could have done it as well.

Old 08-29-2015, 04:08 PM   #2725
telemark

JMFS is not as informative when things go wrong.

Posting the Block0, APM, and MFS superblock, would probably tell us much about what happened or didn't.

Block0, I use:
dd if=/dev/sdX count=1 | hexdump -C

APM, I use:
pmdmp /dev/sdX
but i think pdisk/tdisk is probably on most iso's

Last edited by telemark; 08-29-2015 at 04:14 PM.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 04:24 PM   #2726
TiVoJimmy

Today I retried with success, almost. First, the TiVo takes 20+ minutes to get past the "Starting Up" screen. With the 3TB in the TiVO, divorced, not expanded, it works as a 1TB, but takes forever to get booted up.

After expanding and back in the TiVo, I can't get past the "Starting Up" screen.

Telemark- if I hook up my newly expanded 3TB to the PC and run pdisk, will that get you any info that could help?

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited by TiVoJimmy; 08-29-2015 at 04:31 PM.
TiVoJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:51 PM   #2727
telemark

So there's a long chain / series of events to get to a successful boot with any one piece missing causing the whole thing to fail.

Sounds like something weird to me in MFS or a bad drive. I think the best step would be into a Linux PC to check the logs and whether JMFS thinks it's valid right now.

telemark is offline   Reply With Quote