MFSLive v. 1.4

andrewperrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 08:33 AM   #10173
jmbach
der Neuerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewperrin View Post
MFSLive v. 1.4

Download and MFSTools 3.2 and try the same thing.

Old 11-01-2015, 03:18 PM   #10174
unclehonkey

so I want to upgrade the HD in my Tivo HD. My stock drive took a dump so I found an old 320GB drive that works. Will this drive work in the HD?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-mains...&skuId=9312067

unclehonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:17 PM   #10175
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
so I want to upgrade the HD in my Tivo HD. My stock drive took a dump so I found an old 320GB drive that works. Will this drive work in the HD?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-mains...&skuId=9312067
Its a 7200 RPM drive which creates more heat and draws more power than the Tivo can provide. Its also not meant for DVR use.

Look for a Green -AV drive, ending in EURS, EURX, EFRX (Red drive works.)

Juliet Basic (4XL, PLS)

~~~~~

No Amazon Prime? Join
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and start streaming!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 11-01-2015, 05:36 PM   #10176
unclehonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Its a 7200 RPM drive which creates more heat and draws more power than the Tivo can provide. Its also not meant for DVR use.
thanks for info..took it back to BB a little bit ago

Quote:
Look for a Green -AV drive, ending in EURS, EURX, EFRX (Red drive works.)
The EZRX ones wont work?
Found a 1TB on amazon for under $50
http://www.amazon.com/Green-1TB-Desk...words=wd10eurx

Old 11-01-2015, 07:03 PM   #10177
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
thanks for info..took it back to BB a little bit ago

The EZRX ones wont work?
Found a 1TB on amazon for under $50
http://www.amazon.com/Green-1TB-Desk...words=wd10eurx
It may work, but its just a Green drive not AV. You would have to fuss with the Intellipark with WDIdle3.exe.

Juliet Basic (4XL, PLS)

~~~~~

No Amazon Prime? Join
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and start streaming!
Thanks For This Post:
Old 11-01-2015, 07:35 PM   #10178
unclehonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
It may work, but its just a Green drive not AV. You would have to fuss with the Intellipark with WDIdle3.exe.
OK good to know
I found a 1TB drive that is a AV-GP one that should work. Now to debate if I need the 1TB or 2TB
(its used for OTA only)

Old 11-01-2015, 10:13 PM   #10179
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
OK good to know
I found a 1TB drive that is a AV-GP one that should work. Now to debate if I need the 1TB or 2TB
(its used for OTA only)
Max it to 2TB

Juliet Basic (4XL, PLS)

~~~~~

No Amazon Prime? Join
and start streaming!
Old 12-21-2015, 09:11 PM   #10180
Nomidlname

I have read everything on here. I have a Tivo Series 3 HDXL TCD658000. I downloaded WINMFS 9.3 and extracted it. I purchased a WD20EURX from Amazon direct. I connected the two drives and was going to direct copy. The WINMFS (running as admin) saw the TIVO drive so I backed up all the files but it would not see the new drive. I went to windows management (windows 7) and the PC could not see the drive. It does however see it in the bios upon bootup. I tried to download WinDlg_v1_29 and installed it but it crashes each time I try to start it (running as admin or not). So, I guess my new drive is bad or is there some trick to get the PC to see it? I did not mount the drive, just went to see if I could see it anywhere other than the bios.

Last edited by Nomidlname; 12-21-2015 at 09:14 PM. Reason: additonal info
Nomidlname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:23 AM   #10181
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomidlname View Post
I have read everything on here. I have a Tivo Series 3 HDXL TCD658000. I downloaded WINMFS 9.3 and extracted it. I purchased a WD20EURX from Amazon direct. I connected the two drives and was going to direct copy. The WINMFS (running as admin) saw the TIVO drive so I backed up all the files but it would not see the new drive. I went to windows management (windows 7) and the PC could not see the drive. It does however see it in the bios upon bootup. I tried to download WinDlg_v1_29 and installed it but it crashes each time I try to start it (running as admin or not). So, I guess my new drive is bad or is there some trick to get the PC to see it? I did not mount the drive, just went to see if I could see it anywhere other than the bios.
Others have reported issues with the new WD20EURX not being recognized by some PC's and by TiVo's.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=535282

Sounds like some change on the hard drive side (firmware?).

Scott

Roamio Pro - 3TB - All-in
S3 HD - 2TB - Lifetime (son's)
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:15 AM   #10182
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomidlname View Post
If you had a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD and booted from that, you'd probably find that you could run the DOS based version of the Western Digital diagnostic software and the drive would pass with flying colors.

As I did just recently on a couple of those drives.

But I couldn't get Windows or WinDig or WinMFS to see the drives.

Even though I used that same PC back in June of 2014 to set up a WD20EURX for an S3 with WinMFS with no problem.

Further, I used the jmfs cd, v1.04, which I had used once before on a TCD652160 drive, and copied the original drive to one of those new WDs and expanded, and it seemed to work.

But once I put it in the TiVo, it can't see the drive, either.

newegg's gonna give me my money back, eventually, but I'm still stuck trying to figure out a substitute drive to use.

Having had about 5 Seagate 2TB drives go bad one after the other like dominoes falling recently I know what I won't be using, but otherwise not sure.

Whatever it is, it'll have been on sale somewhere between Black Friday and Christmas, but almost certainly won't be when I go to buy.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:05 PM   #10183
Ratamacue

I've got a 652160 box that I'd like to upgrade. It's currently got a 1 TB drive that I used Instant Cake on when the (ridiculously expensive) DVR expander drive enclosure failed a few years ago. Has anyone heard of problems using WinMFS with the WD Red WD20EFRX drives on a Windows 10 machine?

Old 12-23-2015, 01:28 PM   #10184
Nomidlname

I went ahead and sent the hard drive back and am getting a replacement from Amazon.com. they ran out of stock so the one I get I assume will be brand spanking new. I will let you all know what the deal is when I get the new one.

Nomidlname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:46 PM   #10185
lpwcomp

I know someone recently had a problem with some drives that appeared to be caused by the power and data connectors not being aligned with one another so that neither a dock nor the combined connector in a TiVo could make a proper connection.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 02:11 PM   #10186
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I know someone recently had a problem with some drives that appeared to be caused by the power and data connectors not being aligned with one another so that neither a dock nor the combined connector in a TiVo could make a proper connection.
Do you mean the power and data connectors that are part of the drive itself didn't adhere closely enough to what I assume is the industry standard for size and spacing and stuff?

Boy, that would be a fun one to hunt down.

Old 12-23-2015, 02:21 PM   #10187
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Do you mean the power and data connectors that are part of the drive itself didn't adhere closely enough to what I assume is the industry standard for size and spacing and stuff?

Boy, that would be a fun one to hunt down.
He posted pictures. It wasn't size or spacing, it was the fact that one of the connectors was slightly farther from the edgeof the drive so that when a combined connector hit the stop, it wasn't fully connected. At least that's what it looked like to me.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:50 PM   #10188
unitron

Quote:
He posted pictures. It wasn't size or spacing, it was the fact that one of the connectors was slightly farther from the edgeof the drive so that when a combined connector hit the stop, it wasn't fully connected. At least that's what it looked like to me.
Time to get out the lighted magnifier.

Where's the shoulders slumped, exhausted sigh smiley when you need it?

Old 12-23-2015, 08:13 PM   #10189
lpwcomp

Quote:
Time to get out the lighted magnifier.

Where's the shoulders slumped, exhausted sigh smiley when you need it?
One other indicator. It worked fine when connected internally to his computer, where the power and data cables are separate.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:15 PM   #10190
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
Easy enough to "break apart" the TiVo connector without actually damaging anything.

First, get a SATA power extension like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OKgear-SATA-...AAAMXQdGJR0Fmv

Use that between the TiVo connector and drive.

Then use something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Short-SATA-7...4AAOxyW7tRiHqB

to extend the data connection from the TiVo connector to the drive.

dougdingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 03:58 PM   #10191
unitron

Quote:
One other indicator. It worked fine when connected internally to his computer, where the power and data cables are separate.
In my case, where XP, and therefore WinMFS, can't see a WD20EURX, the PC data and power cables are separate, but I'll keep in mind the possibility of a combo plug problem for future hard drive wrangling.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:59 AM   #10192
Jerimiah

I have been searching everywhere I can think of, but am having zero luck finding Winmfs. The site most people recommend is no longer registered so that is no help. Any clues as where I should go? (I have gone back a number of pages, but dont see a link. Unless I am blind, which IS a possibility.)

Jerimiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:10 PM   #10193
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerimiah View Post
I have been searching everywhere I can think of, but am having zero luck finding Winmfs. The site most people recommend is no longer registered so that is no help. Any clues as where I should go? (I have gone back a number of pages, but dont see a link. Unless I am blind, which IS a possibility.)
WinMFS

Juliet Basic (4XL, PLS)

~~~~~

No Amazon Prime? Join
and start streaming!
Old 02-12-2016, 10:40 AM   #10194
tvmaster2

Quote:
If you had a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD and booted from that, you'd probably find that you could run the DOS based version of the Western Digital diagnostic software and the drive would pass with flying colors.

As I did just recently on a couple of those drives.

But I couldn't get Windows or WinDig or WinMFS to see the drives.

Even though I used that same PC back in June of 2014 to set up a WD20EURX for an S3 with WinMFS with no problem.

Further, I used the jmfs cd, v1.04, which I had used once before on a TCD652160 drive, and copied the original drive to one of those new WDs and expanded, and it seemed to work.

But once I put it in the TiVo, it can't see the drive, either.

newegg's gonna give me my money back, eventually, but I'm still stuck trying to figure out a substitute drive to use.

Having had about 5 Seagate 2TB drives go bad one after the other like dominoes falling recently I know what I won't be using, but otherwise not sure.

Whatever it is, it'll have been on sale somewhere between Black Friday and Christmas, but almost certainly won't be when I go to buy.
So would you NOT recommend a WDxxEURX model drive for a TiVo HD?

tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:53 PM   #10195
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
So would you NOT recommend a WDxxEURX model drive for a TiVo HD?
Somewhere else around here is a post or three from another TCF'er who worked out that apparently the reason EURX'es suddenly weren't working is that WD was sending them out with something enabled that's called Power Up In Standby, or PUIS, which is where the electronics on the drive will respond to the PC's BIOS/CMOS, but the actual platters aren't spun up just because power has been applied, so if the program that wants to use the drive doesn't know to specifically send a "wake up" command, the drive appears to not be findable.

Said user didn't post this until just after I'd sent everything back to newegg, so I couldn't test it myself, but it pretty much perfectly explains what I'd encountered.

He also explains what to use to disable that "feature".

Old 02-12-2016, 02:35 PM   #10196
lpwcomp

If I had this problem, I might consider contacting WD for an RMA since drives are not supposed to be shipped with PM2 ( which is what WD calls it) enabled. It's supposed to require a jumper to enable it.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:02 AM   #10197
HerronScott

Quote:
Somewhere else around here is a post or three from another TCF'er who worked out that apparently the reason EURX'es suddenly weren't working is that WD was sending them out with something enabled that's called Power Up In Standby, or PUIS, which is where the electronics on the drive will respond to the PC's BIOS/CMOS, but the actual platters aren't spun up just because power has been applied, so if the program that wants to use the drive doesn't know to specifically send a "wake up" command, the drive appears to not be findable.".
In case anyone else runs into this with a new EURX model drive. Here's the thread.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=536101

And here's the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpackd View Post
With some recent posts regarding issues with EURX drives manufactured recently, I wanted to post my experience.

The model I received is WD20EURX-57T0FY0, with a 21 Jun 2015 Manufacture date from Thailand.

After some troubleshooting, I used HDAT2 from the UBCD, and found that the power-up in standby (PUIS or PM2) was enabled, even though documentation states that pins 3 and 4 need to be jumpered for this to be enabled.
(Note, IntelliPark was not enabled on either drive)

I proceeded to use HDAT2 to disable this feature, and now both drives happily work in both TiVos, with no visible issues. Both TiVos have 318hrs of HD space.
Scott

Roamio Pro - 3TB - All-in
S3 HD - 2TB - Lifetime (son's)
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 02-13-2016, 08:58 PM   #10198
js29tiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerimiah View Post
Someone also posted a copy of WinMFS on google drive (don't know what version it is):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...Hd3NGZ0RXZqV2M

as mentioned in this TivoCommunity thread:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...3#post10794893

js29tiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 02-29-2016, 01:42 AM   #10199
Joe01880
I love my TiVo

3TB WD (REFURB, Man. Recertified) Green WD30EZRX 3TB from newegg for $64.99 if anyone's interested.
That's a good price!

http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail...uZXQ=#section3

TiVo HD- 2TB w/ PLS
Connected via MoCa, Ethernet.
Joe01880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 03-12-2016, 07:47 PM   #10200
slyone

Interested in a smooth drive upgrade

Have 2, did 1 yrs ago & want to upgrade the other but see drives are sparce...wtf? I want a good drive with a smooth upgrade. main reason is cant access netflix cause it has a now defunct user number in which I was told cant be removed by me.

a bunch of S2ST's retired
slyone is offline   Reply With Quote