TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-04-2016, 07:46 PM   #2791
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydumi View Post
So I successfully used this tool a couple of years ago to upgrade a Premiere to 2TB. Now I have a Roamio, so I want to put the original 500GB back in the Premiere and reclaim the 2TB drive for other uses.

Does the same process outlined in the original post apply? I have only about 50GB worth of recordings on the 2TB, so they should transfer to the 500 without issue.

Also, any market for a Premiere? Tivo is offering to make it a lifetime one for $100.
I'm seeing 2 tuner lifetimed Premieres on a couple of Craigslist sites for $150.

You can't use jmfs to copy the 2TB to the 500, even if there are no recordings on it.

Perhaps the new version of the MFS Tools can do it.

But that's a different thread.

This is the jmfs thread.

jmfs is designed to copy the original drive to another, larger one, and then expand into the extra space by doing some partition voodoo.

The expansion part of it understands TiVo partitions somewhat, but the copy part just "Xerox'es" bytes from one location to another.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:44 PM   #2792
cmh62

Jmfs applicability?

Is jmfs only for Series 4 (Premiere) upgrades or will it work on Series 3 (652160) also? Which is the best software to use on the 652160?

I tried upgrading my 652160 with jmfs and although jmfs reported the 160GB drive successfully copied to a 1TB drive and that the 1TB was successfully expanded and super sized, my TiVo would not recognize the extra storage space on the larger drive even after a Clear and Delete. Thank you.

Last edited by cmh62; 01-10-2016 at 09:28 PM.
cmh62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:44 AM   #2793
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmh62 View Post
Is jmfs only for Series 4 (Premiere) upgrades or will it work on Series 3 (652160) also? Which is the best software to use on the 652160?

I tried upgrading my 652160 with jmfs and although jmfs reported the 160GB drive successfully copied to a 1TB drive and that the 1TB was successfully expanded and super sized, my TiVo would not recognize the extra storage space on the larger drive even after a Clear and Delete. Thank you.
jmfs was designed to work with the Premiere, and it apparently happened that some of the changes to the file system that were going to be introduced in the Premiere actually made it to the later Series 3 models, the HD (652) and HD XL (658), so it's usable on them as well, as long as you start with the original factory hard drive.

There's a whole thread about using it on the HD

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=462179

although it doesn't hurt to also read the "using it on a Premiere" thread (the one we're in now) as well.

I used the jmfs cd v1.04 to do my first 2TB 652, although I since moved to using WinMFS, as it's more versatile on pre-Premiere TiVos.

Old 01-11-2016, 03:27 PM   #2794
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmh62 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
jmfs was designed to work with the Premiere, and it apparently happened that some of the changes to the file system that were going to be introduced in the Premiere actually made it to the later Series 3 models, the HD (652) and HD XL (658), so it's usable on them as well, as long as you start with the original factory hard drive.

There's a whole thread about using it on the HD

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=462179
From the first post of that thread:
Quote:
If you want to supersize the drive for the Tivo HD, then DO NOT USE the JMFS menu option to Supersize!!! This option will only work with Premiere drives. Instead, shutdown and then connect the new drive to a computer with WinMFS and use WinMFS to "turn on supersize". On a 2TB drive, the WinMFS supersize will increase your recording time from 288 hrs to 318 hrs.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:17 PM   #2795
unitron

Ever since the S3 software got up to 11.0h and could handle 2TB drives, if you're going ot use WinMFS to Supersize on an HD, you might as well just use it to do it all.

But when WinMFS says you have extra space and asks if you want to expand, tell it NO, check the target drive with

mfsinfo

(if there was a source drive, you'll have to change which drive is selected)

and only then expand with

mfsadd.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:54 PM   #2796
cmh62

WinMFS and Supersize

Thanks Unitron. I used WinMFS tonight as you instructed to get 143 hrs on my 1TB WD green drive with my 652. To get over 150 hrs, is there an additional "Supersize" checkbox on the mfsadd option that maybe I missed or is it elsewhere in the menu structure of the program which I guess I didn't see? Thx again.

cmh62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:47 PM   #2797
andydumi
Fish. Butt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Just put the old drive back in. Done (may need to update settings and such).

Have not heard of lifetime of $100 offering for a few months. Only worth it if you were looking to use it, gift it, or would want to deal with selling it. Check craigslist for local pricing.
I used the 500gb in a PC already.

Quote:
I'm seeing 2 tuner lifetimed Premieres on a couple of Craigslist sites for $150.

You can't use jmfs to copy the 2TB to the 500, even if there are no recordings on it.

Perhaps the new version of the MFS Tools can do it.

But that's a different thread.

This is the jmfs thread.

jmfs is designed to copy the original drive to another, larger one, and then expand into the extra space by doing some partition voodoo.

The expansion part of it understands TiVo partitions somewhat, but the copy part just "Xerox'es" bytes from one location to another.
So what would be a good mechinism to get a 500GB to be a "stock" Tivo drive? If I am willing to lose recordings and all. Essentially I want to salvage the 2TB drive for a PC, but be able to give away/sell a fully functioning Premiere rather than without a hard drive.

andydumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:53 PM   #2798
jmbach
der Neuerer

What was the size of the original drive before expanding to 2TB and how was it expanded? If it was 500GB or less using JMFS, use something like dd to copy the first 500GB of the 2TB image to the 500GB drive. Modify the APM to delete partition 15 entry. Then let it boot in the TiVo and divorce the nonexistent partition. Do a c&de and you are done.
Alternatively, go the the DvrBARS thread and ask for an image and write it to the 500GB drive. Do a c&de and you are done.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:22 PM   #2799
azroadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by azroadie View Post
Thanks for the reply! :-) The laptop does not have a eSATA port. So my option was to buy 2 individual eSATA to USB adapters or one that has docks for 2 eSATA drives. The latter option is less expensive and won't require so many USB ports or power sources. Since I can't post the link, here's the description of the dock (I'll be using USB3.0 as I do not have a eSATA port.) (In my last post, I listed a USB 2.0 dock, but found a USB 3.0 version so updating the post accordingly)

"Turn any Serial ATA hard drive into an external USB 3.0 storage device in minutes with the Thermaltake BlacX 5G hard drive docking station. The support for USB 3.0 SuperSpeed technology enables lighting data transfer speed of up to 5 Gbps."

Any foreseen issues so far with my tivo software version? Thanks again!
I finally have the HD and 2 port dock. This dock has an "Offline Clone Function." Has anyone tried this? Will it allow an exact copy of the current TIVO drive? Or should I still use the jmfs tools process?

Next, if I try any of the the above copy methods, will it have an impact on the original TIVO drive? Basically, if I fail on my first try, will my original TIVO drive be able to be put back in and still work normally? Thanks!

azroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:18 PM   #2800
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by azroadie View Post
I finally have the HD and 2 port dock. This dock has an "Offline Clone Function." Has anyone tried this? Will it allow an exact copy of the current TIVO drive? Or should I still use the jmfs tools process?

Next, if I try any of the the above copy methods, will it have an impact on the original TIVO drive? Basically, if I fail on my first try, will my original TIVO drive be able to be put back in and still work normally? Thanks!
As long as you get the right drive in the right slot, that "offline clone" function should treat the drive it's copying from (the source) as read-only, and only make changes in the target drive.

As to whether it can actually "Xerox" a drive, that is, copy it byte for byte without regard to what any of those bytes stand for, or whether it's higher level than that and expects to see a DOS Master Boot Record on the source drive (which means it likely will think an Apple Partition Map drive, such as a TiVo drive, is not formatted at all and has no partitions and therefore there's nothing to copy), I couldn't say without being able to play with it or at least read a halfway technical owner's manual for it.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:15 PM   #2801
rif

Hi all

Are the instructions on page 1 still current? I've done this a few times with several series 2 and TivoHD's so just need to be pointed to the latest download and steps.

I hope this isn't rude, but I can't get through the 90+ pages on the thread.

At a minimun, I'm looking to replace my failing premier xl's 1tb drive with another.

I am a longtime tivo owner, 10+ years, but new to the forum so PM won't work.

-david

rif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 05:19 AM   #2802
videobruce
OTA is still alive

Quote:
As to whether it can actually "Xerox" a drive, that is, copy it byte for byte without regard to what any of those bytes stand for, or whether it's higher level than that and expects to see a DOS Master Boot Record on the source drive (which means it likely will think an Apple Partition Map drive, such as a TiVo drive, is not formatted at all and has no partitions and therefore there's nothing to copy), I couldn't say
Why can't the numerous software programs do the same thing? Isn't that what they do; byte for byte copy?

Old 01-18-2016, 06:26 PM   #2803
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Why can't the numerous software programs do the same thing? Isn't that what they do; byte for byte copy?
I guess they can't (if they can't--I haven't tried any of them but in reading about them it seems some can't or don't or won't) because they were written differently with just PC drives in mind.

For the rest of us there's always

dd

or

ddrescue

or

dd_rescue

on the Linux command line if we need something that ignores anything higher level than the 1s and 0s of the bytes.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:38 PM   #2804
mattack

Is 2T still the maximum size? (I did read the first article again..)

If so, then I guess MFSTools is still the solution for (1) pre-Roamio, and/or (2) non-Windows for > 2 TB.. right?

I've been saying I'd upgrade my P4 for a long time, but the simple drop in Roamio upgrade to 3 TB was so easy.. and I filled it up quite a while ago (I've been essentially at full for a long time, don't think I've lost any if not many programs.. but I manually cull things)..

I finally changed _most_ primetime SPs to HD, so really do need more space.. (yes I know that's insane... 3 TB is huge..)

Even though I am comfortable with command line programs of course, jmfs was nice/easy to use.

But here's the mfstools thread:
http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...d.php?t=529148

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 02:44 PM   #2805
wood252ota

I have 2 Tivo Premieres, one that I upgraded with a 2TB drive and one that had the original 320GB drive. The tivo with the 320GB drive is getting disk errors and failed kickstart 54. The tivo still boots up and works, but sometimes it restarts when it is booting and sometimes hesitates when playing back recorded programs. I tried using jmfs to copy the 320GB drive to a wd20eurs, but it was getting lots of errors doing the copy. Then the wd20 got kicked (don't ask) during the copying and the jmfs ended when the wd20 got a write error. Since I have to redo the copy again, I'm wondering what would be the best way to do this. I don't need any of the recordings on the 320GB drive. Below is what I thought my options are.
1) Try jmfs again with a new wd20. But I don't know what the jmfs does when it gets a read error and what it then writes to the target drive.
2) Do a "mfstools copy /dev/sda /dev/sdb" to just copy the tivo base code to the wd20. Hopefully there are no read errors when it does that.
3) Do a jmfs with the 320GB drive that was taken out of the first tivo when it was upgraded to 2TB. That drive didn't have any errors and hopefully still doesn't after sitting unused for a few years. The bad part of this is it will have a very old build on it.
Does anyone have any recommendations or other suggestions on what is the best way to go to bring the tivo back to life ? Thanks for the help.

wood252ota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:25 PM   #2806
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood252ota View Post
I have 2 Tivo Premieres, one that I upgraded with a 2TB drive and one that had the original 320GB drive. The tivo with the 320GB drive is getting disk errors and failed kickstart 54. The tivo still boots up and works, but sometimes it restarts when it is booting and sometimes hesitates when playing back recorded programs. I tried using jmfs to copy the 320GB drive to a wd20eurs, but it was getting lots of errors doing the copy. Then the wd20 got kicked (don't ask) during the copying and the jmfs ended when the wd20 got a write error. Since I have to redo the copy again, I'm wondering what would be the best way to do this. I don't need any of the recordings on the 320GB drive. Below is what I thought my options are.
1) Try jmfs again with a new wd20. But I don't know what the jmfs does when it gets a read error and what it then writes to the target drive.
2) Do a "mfstools copy /dev/sda /dev/sdb" to just copy the tivo base code to the wd20. Hopefully there are no read errors when it does that.
3) Do a jmfs with the 320GB drive that was taken out of the first tivo when it was upgraded to 2TB. That drive didn't have any errors and hopefully still doesn't after sitting unused for a few years. The bad part of this is it will have a very old build on it.
Does anyone have any recommendations or other suggestions on what is the best way to go to bring the tivo back to life ? Thanks for the help.
Post the model number(s) and I'll send you links to clean Premiere images that you can restore with DvrBARS and expand with jmfs. Your original drive might get you there, but since you don't care about the recordings it's probably a lot easier and quicker to start over from scratch.

ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:16 PM   #2807
mattack

I admit I haven't done it in a while, but #2 seems like it should work.. You should even be able to go to 4 TB. (I bought a 6 TB drive with the mention that the tools may eventually support 6 TB..) I'll likely upgrade this weekend.

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:34 PM   #2808
monsjic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
Post the model number(s) and I'll send you links to clean Premiere images that you can restore with DvrBARS and expand with jmfs. Your original drive might get you there, but since you don't care about the recordings it's probably a lot easier and quicker to start over from scratch.
@ggieseke Would love to get the clean image for TCD748000.

monsjic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:23 AM   #2809
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsjic View Post
@ggieseke Would love to get the clean image for TCD748000.
PM sent.

ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:37 PM   #2810
Dr_Zoidberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I admit I haven't done it in a while, but #2 seems like it should work.. You should even be able to go to 4 TB. (I bought a 6 TB drive with the mention that the tools may eventually support 6 TB..) I'll likely upgrade this weekend.
I am replacing the 2TB drive with a 3TB unit in my Premiere XL4. I could've done the work on a Mac with a USB dock, but I an trying the PC/Linux track first. Once I got a working PC with SATA ports that recognized the drives (and a functioning PATA DVD rom drive), I'm off and running with the Copy Portion of the process.

I'll update later after I've done the other steps.

Dr_Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:54 PM   #2811
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Zoidberg View Post
I am replacing the 2TB drive with a 3TB unit in my Premiere XL4. I could've done the work on a Mac with a USB dock, but I an trying the PC/Linux track first. Once I got a working PC with SATA ports that recognized the drives (and a functioning PATA DVD rom drive), I'm off and running with the Copy Portion of the process.

Unless things have changed, jmfs needs to start with an unexpanded source drive, does it not?

Old 04-03-2016, 07:42 PM   #2812
Dr_Zoidberg

Quote:
Unless things have changed, jmfs needs to start with an unexpanded source drive, does it not?
Yes...? My Premiere XL4 came with a 2TB drive.

I'm doing the Copy part of "Copy, Expand, Supersize". According to my calculations, it'll be done around 2-3AM, aka 12 1/2 hours to copy 2TB. Then I'll do the next two things.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:19 PM   #2813
jmbach
der Neuerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Zoidberg View Post

If memory serves me and you are using comer's unmodified JMFS 1.04, you will not successfully expand your drive because of a signed 32 bit variable issue. There is a modified version that you can find in the DIY 4TB thread. The alternative would be to use MFSTools 3.2 to do the copy.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:49 AM   #2814
Dr_Zoidberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
If memory serves me and you are using comer's unmodified JMFS 1.04, you will not successfully expand your drive because of a signed 32 bit variable issue. There is a modified version that you can find in the DIY 4TB thread. The alternative would be to use MFSTools 3.2 to do the copy.
The copy finished overnight (12 hours), and the expand does fail, so I'd like to find the right thread and do the right process rather than guess. Which thread would the 4TB DIY be? I did some searching and found these two - is it one of these or another?

This one is for Roamio (and XP?):
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&highlight=4tb

or should I use the steps in the generic MFStools thread?
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...&highlight=4tb

gonna put the original, working drive back in, for now, because I won't be able to work on this for a couple days, now.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:21 AM   #2815
jmbach
der Neuerer

Start here and go to the deprecated method to find the modified JMFS. You will not have to copy the drive again but just do the expand. MFSR is only for Roamio and does not copy anything. You can use the MFSTool to redo the whole copy. MFSTool with expand while it copies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by jmbach; 04-04-2016 at 11:24 AM.
jmbach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:05 PM   #2816
Dr_Zoidberg

Quote:
Start here and go to the deprecated method to find the modified JMFS. You will not have to copy the drive again but just do the expand. MFSR is only for Roamio and does not copy anything. You can use the MFSTool to redo the whole copy. MFSTool with expand while it copies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think you're offering two options via mfstools.

1. Using the copied drive, run "mfsadd -x /dev/sdX" with X being the new drive's letter, and it'll create a new 1TB media partition with the remaining space on the new drive.

2. Redo copy, and the mfstools 'copy' will expand as necessary.

Do I understand it right?

Old 04-04-2016, 05:51 PM   #2817
jmbach
der Neuerer

No. One method uses MFSTools copy command and the other is using a modified JMFS. The post has a couple of links in it.

You cannot use MFSAdd to expand a premiere image.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:42 PM   #2818
Dr_Zoidberg

Quote:
No. One method uses MFSTools copy command and the other is using a modified JMFS. The post has a couple of links in it.

You cannot use MFSAdd to expand a premiere image.
Thanks for the clarification! Obviously, I thought MFStools worked for the Premiere, too. Now, I know better. I was going to ask comer to update the first post to reflect the larger disk sizes for the Premieres, but it seems comer hasn't posted since 2011.

In any case, I downloaded the deprecated 1.05 version and was able to do the expansion and ran the Supersize. I now have 477 HD hours available, total!

Last edited by Dr_Zoidberg; 04-04-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:49 PM   #2819
jmbach
der Neuerer

Good

Just to clarify. You can use MFSTools 3.2 on a premiere. It expands while copying by increasing the size of the two media zones and not by adding an additional partition like JMFS does.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:36 PM   #2820
DeekayLBC
#GoNavyBaby

Won't "expand" after copy

Was upgrading from a 2TB to 3TB. Using WD "Purple" line of HD. Copy was successful but when I went to EXPAND I got the return error in red letters "expand did not finish successfully".

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

DeekayLBC is offline   Reply With Quote