TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-14-2015, 02:35 PM   #5131
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Anyone seen an issue where not all the folders in the PyTiVo share show up on the TiVo? It seems to be related to the size of the library as I've paired the library down in the past and all the folders start displaying again. I'm told there is no folder size limitation, but if not what could be happening?

I have two shares, one embedded in the other. For instance I have a "Shows" folder with a "DVD" folder inside that one. I share out "Shows" and the "DVD" path to the TiVo's. The first share has multiple folders and subfolders while the latter share in flat with no sub folders.

I've stopped and restarted the service, rebooted the PC, etc.

Running Ubuntu 14.10

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:31 PM   #5132
shiffrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiffrin View Post
I'll give that a try. One thing I just thought of - I have the diskstation shared folders set to turn off the drives after 20 minutes of inactivity. When I use any app on my desktop that uses the shares, they start right up and work fine. Maybe the pyTivo service doesn't do anything that causes the drives to turn back on.

I'll try what you said and also change the drive setting to keep the drives on to see if that makes a difference.
I tried a couple of things today but still haven't solved the problem with the shares disappearing.

First, I restarted the pyTivo service and verified that the shares were showing up. Then I waited for the NAS drives to power down from inactivity and then verified again that the shares were still showing. I then opened one of the shares on the Tivo and the NAS drives started up. It took a few seconds and then the Tivo timed out due to no response from the shares. I waited a few seconds and then tried again and the shared files showed up on Tivo as expected. This proved that the powering down of the drives is not the problem.

Next I set the autodisconnect to -1 (and rebooted) and waited, but the shares still went away after about 15 minutes.

I did some reading on the web and they also mentioned a parameter called KeepConn (a variable in the LAN settings in the registry) which I also set to the maximum value and rebooted, but the shares still went away.

I don't think I'm ever going to be able to solve this problem.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:27 PM   #5133
reneg

Quote:
I tried a couple of things today but still haven't solved the problem with the shares disappearing.

First, I restarted the pyTivo service and verified that the shares were showing up. Then I waited for the NAS drives to power down from inactivity and then verified again that the shares were still showing. I then opened one of the shares on the Tivo and the NAS drives started up. It took a few seconds and then the Tivo timed out due to no response from the shares. I waited a few seconds and then tried again and the shared files showed up on Tivo as expected. This proved that the powering down of the drives is not the problem.

Next I set the autodisconnect to -1 (and rebooted) and waited, but the shares still went away after about 15 minutes.

I did some reading on the web and they also mentioned a parameter called KeepConn (a variable in the LAN settings in the registry) which I also set to the maximum value and rebooted, but the shares still went away.

I don't think I'm ever going to be able to solve this problem.
Maybe as a test, create a pyTivo share on your desktop and see if stays or disappears like the NAS shares.

reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:05 PM   #5134
moyekj

You should also put in some non-NAS shares in pyTivo.conf to see if they disappear or not to see if problem is related to NAS shares at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:33 AM   #5135
shiffrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneg View Post
Maybe as a test, create a pyTivo share on your desktop and see if stays or disappears like the NAS shares.
Time for today's report.

I did add a Test share on my desktop and that shows up and also goes away but sometimes it seems to last a few minutes longer than the shares from my NAS.

I left everything alone for a few hours. When I sat down to watch Tivo last night I saw that the shares were still there. For the last few days, every time the shares were there they had no icon showing to the left of the name and they all had a "(DVR)" tacked on to the share name. Last night they were all showing with a computer icon to the left and no DVR attached to the label. They were all still there when I went to bed.

This morning I checked and the icons were still listed but the DVR in the label was back and each one was duplicated -ex: VMOVIES and VMOVIES(2) and no logos. I checked the contents of each one and both shares had the same contents.

Very strange behavior

Old 04-15-2015, 10:02 PM   #5136
reneg

Quote:
Time for today's report.

Very strange behavior
Yes, very strange behavior. Not sure what to try next. Have you tried disabling your firewall on your desktop?

reneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:21 PM   #5137
shiffrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneg View Post
Yes, very strange behavior. Not sure what to try next. Have you tried disabling your firewall on your desktop?
I'm almost afraid to say that the shares have been showing now for almost 24 hours. They do have "(DVR)" after the name which I don't understand. The other Tivo in my house also shows up that way but it has a Tivo icon while my shares have no icon. Does anyone know what the (DVR) is supposed to mean and where it comes from?

Yesterday I realized that my old server (Windows Home Server) was still turned on and it had 2 Tivo add-ins on it. I removed those add-ins and the shares have been showing up ever since. Those apps were also running last week before the pyTivo problem with shares showed itself. They must be affecting the shares but I don't know how.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I hope the problem stays away.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:48 PM   #5138
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

FWIW, I have pytivo on a Centos box, pointing at a 60TB NAS with 3000 movies and 900+ complete tv shows, all season, I never see the shares not display everything in them, on both old TivoHD, Premier and new Roamio.

S2-500gb HD, 2 units-ret
TivoHD-2tb, chip mod, 2 units
Premiere-2tb JMFS
Premiere4-2tb JMFS-ret
Roamio Plus-4tb Comm Img
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:30 AM   #5139
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
FWIW, I have pytivo on a Centos box, pointing at a 60TB NAS with 3000 movies and 900+ complete tv shows, all season, I never see the shares not display everything in them, on both old TivoHD, Premier and new Roamio.
Thanks. WC told me no library size limitation and I believed him, I'm just stumped why it's happening to me like this. Could it be I'm using an external usb drive and PyTiVo is collecting as much as it can before it times out?

Old Yesterday, 07:45 AM   #5140
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post
Could it be I'm using an external usb drive and PyTiVo is collecting as much as it can before it times out?
In that situation, I'd expect to see an error message on the TiVo, rather than a partial result.

A partial result comes from a failure while processing a directory. This used to happen sometimes with strange characters in filenames. (I hope I've quashed that.) Other errors, whatever they might be, should appear in the log.

wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM   #5141
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
In that situation, I'd expect to see an error message on the TiVo, rather than a partial result.

A partial result comes from a failure while processing a directory. This used to happen sometimes with strange characters in filenames. (I hope I've quashed that.) Other errors, whatever they might be, should appear in the log.
What about spaces?

Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM   #5142
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post

Solution!

I use Bit Torrent Sync on the main share so that I can grab video and put it onto my iPad when I'm away from home. It works really well, except it adds several files to the root that have special characters in them. Most starting with a "." I hosed those files and the issue completely cleared up.

Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM   #5143
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post
What about spaces?
Spaces are not considered strange for pyTivo's purposes.

wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote