TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-31-2016, 12:36 PM   #1291
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas759 View Post
Can I please have a link to a clean Premiere image? 2 tuner 746320 model.

Thanks in advance.
PM sent.

ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:40 PM   #1292
HerronScott

Wow seems to be a large number of Premiere image requests recently.

Scott

Roamio Pro - 3TB - All-in
S3 HD - 2TB - Lifetime (son's)
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:06 PM   #1293
gespears

Hard drive failures seem to be in season.

gespears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:50 PM   #1294
jpierce237

So it seems that the software description is pretty old. Wondering if there's support for the Bolt and/or support to expand storage as the initial description implied might be forthcoming. A program like this would be very handy. Also, I wonder if it might not be possible to prepare a standard external drive for use via ESATA in place of the now defunct WD DVR Expander?

jpierce237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:35 AM   #1295
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpierce237 View Post
Also, I wonder if it might not be possible to prepare a standard external drive for use via ESATA in place of the now defunct WD DVR Expander?
While that can be done, and outfits like Weaknees (and perhaps others) are doing it commercially, it's not so easy. The allowable external drives are hard coded into the TiVo software, and so byte-level modifications would have to be made to the code on the current hard drive.

And even then, it would be difficult to modify the code for any model drive except the specific one you wished to install.

I haven't looked at this for a while, and so things may have changed, but that's how it was with every TiVo that didn't support the old Kickstart mode of adding an external drive (all the ones after the S3 OLED, I believe). I'm sure someone will speak up if I'm wrong (which would not be too unusual).

dougdingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:12 AM   #1296
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpierce237 View Post
So it seems that the software description is pretty old. Wondering if there's support for the Bolt and/or support to expand storage as the initial description implied might be forthcoming. A program like this would be very handy. Also, I wonder if it might not be possible to prepare a standard external drive for use via ESATA in place of the now defunct WD DVR Expander?
I looked into updating this program back when the Roamios first came out, but the VHD file format that I use doesn't support drives over 2TB. To bring it fully up to date and add features at this point would take months, and I would rather put that effort into an entirely new program with different design criteria.

I'm sending out Premiere images like crazy these days, so it still does what I designed it to do. My next program will probably drop imaging altogether and focus on copying & expanding Premiere through Bolt models.

Old 02-13-2016, 10:16 AM   #1297
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
You can use the MFS Live cd or WinMFS on the 648.

My preference would be to use WinMFS.

Just remember, with either, do the image restoration, check the drive with

mfsinfo

and only then do the expansion with

mfsadd

That means not using the

-x

option when using the MFS Live cd, or saying NO when WinMFS says you have extra room and offers to expand.

Sometimes expansion doesn't work and just screws up the drive if you try to do it as part of the restore.

By itself later, running

mfsadd

I've never known it to do so.

And to use a 2TB drive in a 648, make sure you have an 11.0h or newer version of the TiVo OS on the 648 image (most recent version is 11.0m).
using winmfs, do you have a link for the process of how to backup a working, TiVo HD drive, so that image could then be transferred to a newer, larger drive?
My old TiVo HD, 652, finally got the 11.0n update, so I wanted to use this as my source.

Actually, what I'm really looking for are the complete directions for winmfs, as the .org site seems to be dead. There is an archive site, but most of the sub links are dead there as well. Is there a .pdf of the complete instructions?

Last edited by tvmaster2; 02-13-2016 at 12:27 PM.
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:41 PM   #1298
mitsugsx97

ggieseke, can you please send me the link for TDC750500 image. Thank you

mitsugsx97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 12:58 PM   #1299
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsugsx97 View Post
ggieseke, can you please send me the link for TDC750500 image. Thank you
PM sent.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:23 PM   #1300
mitsugsx97

ggieseke, Thanks a lot. It seems to be working - at least it's not stuck in the infinite reboot loop. You just saved me $400+ for a new Roamio.
I have another request: Can you please send me the link for TCD746320. It's another TiVo Premiere with lifetime service that failed on me last year. I assumed it wasn't a hard drive issue since I was able to back it up and restore to another drive without any errors. But now I'm thinking that I should've started with a fresh image before making that assumption. Thanks in advance.

mitsugsx97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:02 PM   #1301
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsugsx97 View Post
ggieseke, Thanks a lot. It seems to be working - at least it's not stuck in the infinite reboot loop. You just saved me $400+ for a new Roamio.
I have another request: Can you please send me the link for TCD746320. It's another TiVo Premiere with lifetime service that failed on me last year. I assumed it wasn't a hard drive issue since I was able to back it up and restore to another drive without any errors. But now I'm thinking that I should've started with a fresh image before making that assumption. Thanks in advance.
PM sent.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:42 PM   #1302
djtv

As luck would have it, my model TCD746320 just died this week. I have a spare hard drive, but need the image. Would you be willing to share with me as well?

Thank you

djtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:40 AM   #1303
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtv View Post
As luck would have it, my model TCD746320 just died this week. I have a spare hard drive, but need the image. Would you be willing to share with me as well?

Thank you
PM sent.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:55 PM   #1304
djtv

Thank you! I've had partial success.

Doing a full restore to a hard drive, then putting the drive in the Tivo, it goes to the Welcome screen, then the "Just a few minutes more" screen for awhile, then the screen goes dark and the TV reports "Not a supported mode". Only the green light on the Tivo is lit, no other activity noted.

Is there anything special that needs to be done to the drive before or after the restore?

I've tried using 2 drives so far, a Seagate 1 Tb, and a Hitachi 1.5 Tb with the same results. Both drives were previously used as Windows 7 OS drives, and the only thing I did to them was delete the partitions before running the software.

Appreciative of any help! :-)

Old 02-14-2016, 04:21 PM   #1305
kpeters59

Quote:

Doing a full restore to a hard drive, then putting the drive in the Tivo, it goes to the Welcome screen, then the "Just a few minutes more" screen for awhile, then the screen goes dark and the TV reports "Not a supported mode". Only the green light on the Tivo is lit, no other activity noted.

Is there anything special that needs to be done to the drive before or after the restore?

I've tried using 2 drives so far, a Seagate 1 Tb, and a Hitachi 1.5 Tb with the same results. Both drives were previously used as Windows 7 OS drives, and the only thing I did to them was delete the partitions before running the software.

That sounds like maybe it worked, just TiVo is coming up in a resolution that your display (TV/Monitor) doesn't support.

Try changing it with the ^ (up arrow) button?

Is there audio? TiVo sounds? Try tuning to a channel (even though you can't see video)?

-KP

kpeters59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:17 PM   #1306
djtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeters59 View Post
That sounds like maybe it worked, just TiVo is coming up in a resolution that your display (TV/Monitor) doesn't support.

Try changing it with the ^ (up arrow) button?

Is there audio? TiVo sounds? Try tuning to a channel (even though you can't see video)?

-KP
Hi KP,
No audio at all, button presses do nothing except make the yellow light blink (no key press audio), no Tivo musical intro, no change when trying to change channels, up arrow doesn't change anything.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:31 PM   #1307
unitron

Quote:

Don't use HDMI when making any changes.

Use composite or component video and make sure everything else is working right, and only then take a chance on HDMI.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 02-14-2016, 08:16 PM   #1308
djtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Use composite or component video and make sure everything else is working right, and only then take a chance on HDMI.
Excellent suggestion!

Worked fine with the A/V jacks. Currently going through the clear and delete process.

Thank you! :-)

Old 02-23-2016, 03:54 PM   #1309
dmw-01

Image for Premiere XL (TCD748) needed

I'm a little lost on where/who you ask for an image. Looks like my drive failed and I have a WD Red 3TB drive handy (backup for a NAS that hasn't needed it yet) so I thought that I'd try putting in a new drive first and I'd rather not pay a huge premium for one already formatted.
Thanks

dmw-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:58 PM   #1310
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw-01 View Post
I'm a little lost on where/who you ask for an image. Looks like my drive failed and I have a WD Red 3TB drive handy (backup for a NAS that hasn't needed it yet) so I thought that I'd try putting in a new drive first and I'd rather not pay a huge premium for one already formatted.
Thanks
You ask right here, starting with the model of the TiVo in question.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:27 PM   #1311
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw-01 View Post
Thanks
PM sent. Once you restore the image you can use MFSTools 3.2 to expand it.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:01 PM   #1312
salcpr57

I have TCD746320 that has hard drive going bad. I bought a replacement drive, but now I need a image file for it. Would someone please share one?

salcpr57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 03:56 PM   #1313
BillyKaos

The drive in my TCD758250 went belly up. Looking for the image. Thanks in advance.

BillyKaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 04:35 PM   #1314
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by salcpr57 View Post
I have TCD746320 that has hard drive going bad. I bought a replacement drive, but now I need a image file for it. Would someone please share one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyKaos View Post
The drive in my TCD758250 went belly up. Looking for the image. Thanks in advance.
PMs sent.

Thanks For This Post:
Old 02-28-2016, 09:41 PM   #1315
rbstuartjr

It seems my hard drive in my Premiere 746320 went bad as well. Could I get a an image for mine as well? Thanks in advance.

rbstuartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:08 AM   #1316
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbstuartjr View Post
It seems my hard drive in my Premiere 746320 went bad as well. Could I get a an image for mine as well? Thanks in advance.
PM sent.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:06 PM   #1317
dougdingle
HD Tech

Slightly off topic...

I am looking for a disk cloning utility that works under OSX to help me make a disk-to-disk clone of my Roamio drive.

I am currently in a situation where I have to use a Thunderbolt I/O device to get a couple of eSATA ports going (no Windows machine available), and the TB I/O device only works under OSX.

I plug my eSATA dual dock into it, and it works fine, but now I need software to do the clone, and have not been able to find any. There's plenty of utilities that will clone the OSX partition from the boot drive, but I haven't been able to find anything that will clone an external dock with a TiVo drive in it.

When I had access to an extra Windows machine, I used Rawcopy to do the clone, and that worked just great. I need the equivalent for OSX. Anyone?

Old 03-03-2016, 07:24 PM   #1318
dougdingle
HD Tech

Replying to my own post...

So jmbach convinced me to try using my cloning dual dock instead of going through a full OS, and it's almost 3/4 done, so we'll soon see if the resulting clone boots and works.

I would be real pleased if it did, since it takes 17 hours to do a 3TB copy using RawCopy on my old machine, and it looks like it's going to take just 6 hours on the cloning dock.

Those things make me slightly nervous for some reason, even if I'm very careful about which disk is the source and which one is the destination. My paranoia makes me think it might do something harmful to the source drive, although why that would be so I can't say.

For those interested, it's the 'Mediasonic HUR2-SU3 2 3.5" USB 3.0 UASP ProBox dualbay docking station', which they claim can handle drive sizes to 8 TB and is available from Newegg.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:26 AM   #1319
plexplug

The amount of failures for the 746320 seems to be ever increasing. ggieseke could you send me a link for the 746320?

I tried a recovery of the original but all it does is make the whir whir whir ca-clunk sound. Many many thanks for your awesome work!

plexplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:30 PM   #1320
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by plexplug View Post
The amount of failures for the 746320 seems to be ever increasing. ggieseke could you send me a link for the 746320?

I tried a recovery of the original but all it does is make the whir whir whir ca-clunk sound. Many many thanks for your awesome work!
PM sent.