TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-30-2016, 11:24 AM   #5371
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil View Post
It appears from Soapm's messages at the other place that he tried to apply some 11.0m-specific patches to 11.0n and got error messages. It looks like the attempts just aborted without writing anything. But if anything was actually changed, inappropriately, is it possible that's complicating the results you're looking at here?

Not meaning to complicate, just mentioning it so you know there's that variable in the mix as you look at the data.
Actually, funny you brought this up because I came along and was taught by some of the best. You guys spoiled me and allowed me to walk in your footsteps, good footsteps I might ask from my first S2DT Tivo. So my notes read like this...

Code:
cd /tvbin
mv tivoapp tivoapp.orig
cp tivoapp.orig tivoapp
chmod 755 tivoapp
patch
Patch is built into my /.profile file to execute this command

Code:
alias patch='echo "patching tivoapp"; /var/hacks/tvapppatch.tcl'
So I reverse the process after each failure and delete the failed Tivoapp and mv tivoapp.orig back to tivoapp...

So unless I failed to do this on one of my attempts, then I should have my original tivoapp still in place...

Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:28 AM   #5372
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Looks like it means TS transfers back to the TiVo HD don't work.

Now curious if transfers FROM the TiVo HD are available in TS container.
When you connect connect to TiVo HD using a web browser (using https, not http):
Code:
https://TIVOIP
(username=tivo password=10 digit MAK and you have to allow browser to connect to insecure page)
Do you see "Download MPEG-TS" option?
Is there a port or something I need to connect to? I can't connect just using https://TIVOIP...

But if you're talking about connecting via the pyTivo port 9032, then yes I can connect that way and push any show I want to the Tivo...

EDITED to ADD:

Sorry, I was trying to connect to my video server siince that was where pyTivo is installed. Mines says, "Download MPEG-PS". Notice the P and not a T like yours.

Last edited by Soapm; 01-30-2016 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:29 AM   #5373
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
Is there a port or something I need to connect to? I can't connect just using https://TIVOIP...
Are you replacing TIVOIP with your TiVo's IP address (ie https://192.168.1.109 for example)?

Scott

Roamio Pro - 3TB - All-in
S3 HD - 2TB - Lifetime (son's)
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:41 AM   #5374
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
Are you replacing TIVOIP with your TiVo's IP address (ie https://192.168.1.109 for example)?

Scott
No, I was using the ip of my video server... Thanks for pulling my head out for me....

Old 02-02-2016, 10:10 PM   #5375
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
What's happening here is, pyTivo saves time in building the list by not fully parsing the metadata for a program until more details are requested. (And when I say "saves time", I mean you really wouldn't want it not to work this way.)

What do you use? Lately I've just been doing it with FFmpeg, after manually noting the cut points in VLC.
How much slower would it be? Since I have each show in its own folder (ooh, except I guess when it initially shows me the non-foldered list on the tivo?), I would hope it would be O(n) for the # of files..

I used to use MPEG Streamclip.. But it has gotten flaky on later versions of OS X.. (yes I know it uses the old MPEG 2 plugin) Flaky as in many recordings don't have video but just audio -- though strangely I could often still use it to edit in this state.

Though conversely, at least if I only wanted ONE segment, I _can_ use Quicktime Player often to just Trim that segment. But sometimes I want(ed) multiple segments (e.g. 2 musical performances from SNL).

Though wait -- can't it look at the metadata for EACH file as it "presents" that to the Tivo? Paging up/down sure seems to reload info.. so it seems to me like it could "do the right thing".. But if it took MINUTES, yeah, that would be bad..

(Though I guess that would mean it'd be cool to write a little tool to set the mod date of each file to the info in its corresponding metadata file... as a workaround)

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:09 AM   #5376
lew

Where are my log files?

They're not in my pytivo directory (or subdirectory), not in my windows log directory nor in my python27 directory. I don't see a place to indicate a location for log files in the pytivo configuration file. I read the entire DST file for instructions. I have debug set to true.

lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:46 AM   #5377
wmcbrine
Ziphead

The log is written to the console, unless you redirect it (i.e. ">"), or set up an output file via the somewhat convoluted Python logging options. Without knowing exactly what steps you took to set up pyTivo, no one can say where (or whether) your log is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:49 AM   #5378
lpwcomp

Quote:
The log is written to the console, unless you redirect it (i.e. ">"), or set up an output file via the somewhat convoluted Python logging options. Without knowing exactly what steps you took to set up pyTivo, no one can say where (or whether) your log is.
This is one of the reasons why I don't run pyTivo as a service.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:14 PM   #5379
wmcbrine
Ziphead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
This is one of the reasons why I don't run pyTivo as a service.
It's quite easy to put the log wherever you want it. Which is my point... it's wherever you put it (just like, e.g., the video shares), not in a standardized location, so it's not meaningful for someone to ask "Where are my log files?", when only they themselves can answer that.

I think pyTivo could probably benefit from something like a simple "logfile:" option for pyTivo.conf, but redirection is already pretty simple.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:25 PM   #5380
lew

Quote:
It's quite easy to put the log wherever you want it. Which is my point... it's wherever you put it (just like, e.g., the video shares), not in a standardized location, so it's not meaningful for someone to ask "Where are my log files?", when only they themselves can answer that.

I think pyTivo could probably benefit from something like a simple "logfile:" option for pyTivo.conf, but redirection is already pretty simple.
I used the default settings. The only thing "special" is ts=on. Sounds like that means I don't have log files saved. The sample configuration dist file doesn't give log instructions.

My two cents, a person who asks for the location of the log files probably doesn't have any.

lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 02:56 PM   #5381
lpwcomp

Quote:

I didn't mean to imply otherwise. My point was that it is easy to run it in a window and have immediate access to the log messages and that is one reason why I don't run it* as service.

*I actually run three instances on the same system. And yes, I also have legitimate reasons for that.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 04:17 PM   #5382
Soapm

Not sure if this helps but a poster named Newbie posted this on the other forum in response to a poster who couldn't move newly recorded MPEG4 files from their TivoHD:

Quote:
The workaround is to transfer mpeg4 files to a Roamio (or Premier or Bolt) then transfer to your computer.

MPEG4 files have to be downloaded as transport streams (ts). The 11.n allows us to record mpeg4 programs but didn't enable ts transfers. You'll have the same problem with any tool which uses tivo to go, including kmttg, pytivo....
So it's not just moving TS TO the 11.0n Tivo's that having problems, we also can't move files FROM in TS format...

This was in case anyone was interested...

Old 02-15-2016, 04:26 PM   #5383
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Not sure if this helps but a poster named Newbie posted this on the other forum in response to a poster who couldn't move newly recorded MPEG4 files from their TivoHD
Is discussion of this still being allowed at the other forum?

Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:32 PM   #5384
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil View Post
Is discussion of this still being allowed at the other forum?

I guess discussion is a relative term since not many post are made there these days...

Old 02-18-2016, 10:05 PM   #5385
Soapm

Quote:
Not sure if this helps but a poster named Newbie posted this on the other forum in response to a poster who couldn't move newly recorded MPEG4 files from their TivoHD:

Quote:
The workaround is to transfer mpeg4 files to a Roamio (or Premier or Bolt) then transfer to your computer.

MPEG4 files have to be downloaded as transport streams (ts). The 11.n allows us to record mpeg4 programs but didn't enable ts transfers. You'll have the same problem with any tool which uses tivo to go, including kmttg, pytivo....

So it's not just moving TS TO the 11.0n Tivo's that having problems, we also can't move files FROM in TS format...

This was in case anyone was interested...
I was posting this to ask if we can remove the TivoHD TS coding from pyTivo so I can turn TS=on back on. It appears confirmed that TivoHD's do record MPEG4 but won't transfer MPEG4 either in or out.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:02 AM   #5386
justen_m

Quote:
I was posting this to ask if we can remove the TivoHD TS coding from pyTivo so I can turn TS=on back on. It appears confirmed that TivoHD's do record MPEG4 but won't transfer MPEG4 either in or out.
Is this true for TivoHDs that have gotten the 11.0n mpeg-4 update? My TivoHD hasn't, and is still on 11.0m, otherwise I'd test this. Perhaps this has been mentioned in a thread about the TIvoHD I haven't been following?

justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:20 AM   #5387
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
Is this true for TivoHDs that have gotten the 11.0n mpeg-4 update? My TivoHD hasn't, and is still on 11.0m, otherwise I'd test this. Perhaps this has been mentioned in a thread about the TIvoHD I haven't been following?
Yes, true and tested.

A TivoHD on 11.0n can watch and record mpeg4, and can xfer to a Roamio or Premier.

But will not ts out to kmttg, pytivo, or Tivo Desktop. you need to send to the Premier or Roamio, and then pull from there.

So no TS in pytivo

S1 Phillips #13-ret
S1 Sony SVR-2000-ret
S2-500gb HD, 2 units-ret
TivoHD-2tb, chip mod, 2 units
Premiere-2tb JMFS
Premiere4-2tb JMFS-ret
Roamio Plus-4tb Comm Img
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 02-19-2016, 05:04 PM   #5388
ClearToLand
Old !*#$% Tinkerer!

Question Using "asctime" to Create Unique Debug Log Files...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
All,

I was setting up a "new" WHS server for my son and getting it configured with pyTivo and I noticed that my ancient pytivo.conf configuration file (probably goes back to 2009/2010) has some extra options in it.

Is this all to support writing out the normal standard console output to a log file since I'm running it as a service? Seems like a good thing although obviously I haven't had to use it much since pyTivo just works. I'm still running a version from 2012 as it just works although I installed the latest on my son's.

BTW the documentation for installing this under Windows and as a service is great compared to what we had when I first did it!

[Admin]
type=admin

[loggers]
keys=root

[handlers]
keys=console,rotfile

[formatters]
keys=basicform

[logger_root]
level=DEBUG
handlers=console,rotfile

[handler_console]
class=StreamHandler
formatter=basicform
args=(sys.stdout,)

[handler_rotfile]
class=handlers.RotatingFileHandler
formatter=basicform
args=('C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\pyTivo\debug.log', 'a', 10485760, 5)

[formatter_basicform]
format=%(asctime)s %(levelname)-5s %(name)s: %(message)s

Scott
I found this post while SEARCHing for a method to have both Console AND Log output from PyTiVo. Thanks.

I did some GOOGLE'ng but the only examples I could find using asctime didn't explain how to reformat it. If possible, I would like to append asctime to the front of my Debug log such that multiple runs of PyTivo would create a new log each time instead of overwriting the one log. I know how to do this in a Windows / DOS BAT file but not in Python.

The result I'm looking to achieve, in Windows 7, would be: YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS_Debug.log (Zero filling all numbers LT 10)

I've read:Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Sonic Blue ReplayTV 5040 (Lifetime) w/1 x 80GB Maxtor 5400RPM
Sonic Blue ReplayTV 5040 (Lifetime) Stock
Now - that exercise was sure educational!!!
ClearToLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:19 PM   #5389
spocko
TiVo HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
Yes, true and tested.

A TivoHD on 11.0n can watch and record mpeg4, and can xfer to a Roamio or Premier.

But will not ts out to kmttg, pytivo, or Tivo Desktop. you need to send to the Premier or Roamio, and then pull from there.

So no TS in pytivo
I apologize if this has already been mentioned somewhere, but to clarify, does this mean that there is no way to transfer mpeg4 recordings from a TivoHD except to transfer them to a Premier or Roamio? Or can they be transferred as PS?

spocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:52 PM   #5390
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by spocko View Post
I apologize if this has already been mentioned somewhere, but to clarify, does this mean that there is no way to transfer mpeg4 recordings from a TivoHD except to transfer them to a Premier or Roamio? Or can they be transferred as PS?
That's correct. MPEG4 has to be transferred to a PC in TS format and the HD doesn't have that capability.

Scott

Roamio Pro - 3TB - All-in
S3 HD - 2TB - Lifetime (son's)
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S3 OLED - 2TB - Lifetime
S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime trnsfrd to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 02-24-2016, 04:15 PM   #5391
joelkfla

Can pyTivo cause Roamio to delete programs?

I just recently downloaded pyTivo, along with ffmpeg and a few other things, and have been playing around with it, downloading and uploading files amongst my PC, Roamio+, and S3. Suddenly, I noticed that my Roamio went from 78% disk utilization to 63%. The Recently Deleted folder has been emptied, and just about all programs that were not "Keep Until I Delete" are gone.

Is there a bug in pyTivo that can cause the Roamio to think an upload needs more space than it actually does, or something else that would cause it to think it's out of space?

What I did was download a 3-hour movie (13GB) from the S3 with transcoding to mpeg and create metadata file checked, edited the metadata file to add some info that was missing, and then pulled it to the Roamio from the share on My Shows. It was big, but there certainly was enough room on the Roamio to upload it without deleting anything.

I also pulled up a couple of very small mpg videos. They are old files, and there were some errors on the console about no buffer size specified and something about missing dates.

I downloaded the wmbrine(?) version of pyTivo, and I'm running it from the .py file, not as a service, on Windows 10.

Any ideas? Thanks.

joelkfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 04:24 PM   #5392
pmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelkfla View Post
I just recently downloaded pyTivo, along with ffmpeg and a few other things, and have been playing around with it, downloading and uploading files amongst my PC, Roamio+, and S3. Suddenly, I noticed that my Roamio went from 78% disk utilization to 63%. The Recently Deleted folder has been emptied, and just about all programs that were not "Keep Until I Delete" are gone.
My understanding is that using KUID on season passes can cause TiVo to preallocate alot of space for upcoming recordings which takes priority over existing recordings and transferring in something will delete existing recordings to make room, even well before the upcoming recordings need the space. It seems much worse with mpeg4 file transfers so I think there is some significant padding of the estimated file size on them for transcoding. I don't know a reliable way of preventing this in general. Search back a few months in this thread and you'll find this.

pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 04:47 PM   #5393
joelkfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
My understanding is that using KUID on season passes can cause TiVo to preallocate alot of space for upcoming recordings which takes priority over existing recordings and transferring in something will delete existing recordings to make room, even well before the upcoming recordings need the space. It seems much worse with mpeg4 file transfers so I think there is some significant padding of the estimated file size on them for transcoding. I don't know a reliable way of preventing this in general. Search back a few months in this thread and you'll find this.
I don't know what KUID is, but it sounds like you're saying I should avoid transcoding to mpeg4 if I intend to load it back to a TiVo. I guess I could try running TiVodecode on the downloaded file later if I decide I want to play it somewhere else (although I've had no success getting TiVodecode to run so far.)

Old 02-24-2016, 05:04 PM   #5394
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
I don't know what KUID is, but it sounds like you're saying I should avoid transcoding to mpeg4 if I intend to load it back to a TiVo. I guess I could try running TiVodecode on the downloaded file later if I decide I want to play it somewhere else (although I've had no success getting TiVodecode to run so far.)
KUID = Keep Until I Delete

What issues are you having with TiVoDecode? Are you using pyTivo to download, or another utility (TiVo Desktop, kmttg, etc.)?

A Web app for Roku Remote Control
gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:20 PM   #5395
joelkfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzotek View Post
KUID = Keep Until I Delete

What issues are you having with TiVoDecode? Are you using pyTivo to download, or another utility (TiVo Desktop, kmttg, etc.)?
No, I've been trying it on files downloaded by TiVo Desktop. It just runs for a few seconds and then I get a Windows error box that just says it stopped running due to an error.

The reason I looked into pyTivo is that Desktop has not been able to upload files for the last year or so. The upload dies after a few seconds, and the TiVo deletes the program. I've resorted to playing the downloaded shows in Windows Media Player and running an hdmi cable from my laptop to my receiver. I was hoping running the files thru TiVodecode would make them uploadable.

It seems pyTivo also fails uploading those files, but is able to upload successfully files that it has downloaded, so I suspect the files are being corrupted during Desktop's download. That may be why TiVo decode is failing, or maybe I just haven't installed it correctly; I'm not sure that I have the right C libraries, or where they should be.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:06 PM   #5396
Soapm

Went to update pyTivo and got this...

Code:
root@lenny:/pyTivo# git pull
remote: Counting objects: 3, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (2/2), done.
remote: Total 3 (delta 2), reused 2 (delta 1)
Unpacking objects: 100% (3/3), done.
From git://repo.or.cz/pyTivo/wmcbrine
   9f8edbe..43bf5ed  master     -> origin/master
Updating 9f8edbe..43bf5ed
error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by merge:
        config.py
Please, commit your changes or stash them before you can merge.
Aborting
How do I commit changes or stash them?

Old 02-25-2016, 09:31 AM   #5397
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
No, I've been trying it on files downloaded by TiVo Desktop. It just runs for a few seconds and then I get a Windows error box that just says it stopped running due to an error.

The reason I looked into pyTivo is that Desktop has not been able to upload files for the last year or so. The upload dies after a few seconds, and the TiVo deletes the program. I've resorted to playing the downloaded shows in Windows Media Player and running an hdmi cable from my laptop to my receiver. I was hoping running the files thru TiVodecode would make them uploadable.

It seems pyTivo also fails uploading those files, but is able to upload successfully files that it has downloaded, so I suspect the files are being corrupted during Desktop's download. That may be why TiVo decode is failing, or maybe I just haven't installed it correctly; I'm not sure that I have the right C libraries, or where they should be.
Unless you're building it yourself from source, TiVoDecode.exe is just a self-contained binary and doesn't require installation.

In TiVo Desktop settings, do you have 'Fast Transfers' turned on? That setting downloads the content as a Transport Stream (TS) file, versus the older transfer method, Program Stream (PS). Tivodecode doesn't work with the TS files, there are other utilities that can, but let's not get ahead of things until we determine if that's what's happening.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:55 AM   #5398
gonzotek
tivo_xml developer

Quote:
Went to update pyTivo and got this...

Code:
root@lenny:/pyTivo# git pull
remote: Counting objects: 3, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (2/2), done.
remote: Total 3 (delta 2), reused 2 (delta 1)
Unpacking objects: 100% (3/3), done.
From git://repo.or.cz/pyTivo/wmcbrine
   9f8edbe..43bf5ed  master     -> origin/master
Updating 9f8edbe..43bf5ed
error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by merge:
        config.py
Please, commit your changes or stash them before you can merge.
Aborting
How do I commit changes or stash them?
So it thinks you've modified config.py since the last 'git pull'. Have you? If you're not sure, you could always start with a fresh install and copy your pytivo.conf file from the current one.

Or try 'git stash'
https://git-scm.com/docs/git-stash

Old 02-25-2016, 02:38 PM   #5399
wmcbrine
Ziphead

git reset --hard

if you don't actually need to preserve your changes. (What are they? git diff to see, if you're not sure.)

Old 02-25-2016, 10:49 PM   #5400
Soapm

Quote:
git reset --hard

if you don't actually need to preserve your changes. (What are they? git diff to see, if you're not sure.)
That worked, I would only have changed something at your direction but I remember you asking me to look at some code but I don't recall making any changes. I'm back up and running now with ts=on so my Premier is happy also...

thanks...