TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-14-2016, 09:07 PM   #1
Stinkweed8

Tivo booting but all blue screen and no outupt

Tivo HD is showing a blue screen, no video or audio, yet it is fully booted. All front panel displays indicate the tivo is booted. When unplugging and replugging it in it shows the welcome screen for a few minutes, then at some point it switches and the video signal goes dead...but it seemingly continues to finish booting.

I have switched from HDMI to Composite cables to try something different and the same thing happens.

Any clues here or do I give up on this thing....I have had it for a long time....Tivo offers me a premier with a lifetime transfer for $350 the last time I called them...maybe it is time...unless there is a better deal out there.

Thanks

Last edited by Stinkweed8; 04-14-2016 at 10:15 PM.
Stinkweed8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 02:45 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkweed8 View Post
Tivo HD is showing a blue screen, no video or audio, yet it is fully booted. All front panel displays indicate the tivo is booted. When unplugging and replugging it in it shows the welcome screen for a few minutes, then at some point it switches and the video signal goes dead...but it seemingly continues to finish booting.

I have switched from HDMI to Composite cables to try something different and the same thing happens.

Any clues here or do I give up on this thing....I have had it for a long time....Tivo offers me a premier with a lifetime transfer for $350 the last time I called them...maybe it is time...unless there is a better deal out there.

Thanks
Does it ever go from the Welcome screen to the Just a few more minutes screen?

Would you lose the lifetime on this unit by getting the lifetimed Premiere?

And would that be a new, never used Premiere?

'Cause I've seen used lifetimed ones for less recently.

Do you have any idea what IP address it's using and have you tried pinging it?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:18 AM   #3
dragonkeper

I am have somewhat the same issue. My TiVo is going from the Welcome screen to the Just a few more minutes screen and then screen goes black and then it shows the Welcome screen again. This just started for me, any idea what is causing this?

dragonkeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 06:52 PM   #4
Stinkweed8

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Does it ever go from the Welcome screen to the Just a few more minutes screen?

Would you lose the lifetime on this unit by getting the lifetimed Premiere?

And would that be a new, never used Premiere?

'Cause I've seen used lifetimed ones for less recently.

Do you have any idea what IP address it's using and have you tried pinging it?
To answer these questions. It goes from the welcome...then flickers and goes dark and stays dark while it continues to boot.

I can ping the tivo just fine, it shows up on my network. When using the remote, it looks like (from the front panel) that it is receiving signal.

As for the price...$350 and you have to not use the old "broken" one anymore...meaning it cant be used or sold or whatever....At least that is my understanding, but I need to call them again. And as for better prices on ebay or something...I hate to buy a used one ... rather get it from Tivo then save $50 ... unless the deal was screaming.

Any morre thoughts out there?

Last edited by Stinkweed8; 04-17-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:47 PM   #5
Stinkweed8

One more update. I pulled the tivo from the entertainment center/Home theater setup so i could mess with it a little easier.

Verified again that it crashes output and continues to boot with HDMI and Composite...HOWEVER...the video output is fine for analog (the yellow only cable)...so it looks really bad on the big TV, but proves that the tivo is still fully booting.

Seems to be something with HD output...is this fixable? I do have a parts unit that I bought once for the psu, but I wouldnt know where to begin.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:02 AM   #6
timhbtr53
Grumpy Old Man

HD and HDMI port.

The HD has always had a problem with the HDMI ports going out with no rhyme or reason. Have you tried a new HDMI cable? If yes on new cable how about a different HDMI port?

timhbtr53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:51 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkweed8 View Post
One more update. I pulled the tivo from the entertainment center/Home theater setup so i could mess with it a little easier.

Verified again that it crashes output and continues to boot with HDMI and Composite...HOWEVER...the video output is fine for analog (the yellow only cable)...so it looks really bad on the big TV, but proves that the tivo is still fully booting.

Seems to be something with HD output...is this fixable? I do have a parts unit that I bought once for the psu, but I wouldnt know where to begin.
So someone who had a Standard Definition 4:3 aspect ratio television with that unit hooked up via the yellow composite video cable would never know anything was wrong?

See if there's a way TiVo will leave the lifetime on it and still give you a deal.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:29 PM   #8
Stinkweed8

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
So someone who had a Standard Definition 4:3 aspect ratio television with that unit hooked up via the yellow composite video cable would never know anything was wrong?

See if there's a way TiVo will leave the lifetime on it and still give you a deal.
That is correct...it works fine for SD/4:3 the grandkids cant tell the difference. Im gonna keep using it. I will find out if they will deal on the refurb premier.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:31 PM   #9
Stinkweed8

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhbtr53 View Post
The HD has always had a problem with the HDMI ports going out with no rhyme or reason. Have you tried a new HDMI cable? If yes on new cable how about a different HDMI port?
I have tried a new cable and there is only 1 HDMI port on the tivo (I did try multiple ports on the receiver...I think the port is just bad...but the component cable went out at the same time...so i am stuck with the yellow compoosite video out...until that one dies.

Thanks For This Post: