TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-11-2015, 04:12 PM   #1
MaxWin100

Some channels not tuning

I have 2 Tivo's. Only the Tivo HD is not getting some HD channels. Problem started randomly this week. Restarted. No change. Called provider (Comcast). They sent a reset signal. No change. All the channels come in on the other Tivo. I've not had this problem before, so I'm out of ideas on troubleshooting.

Suggestions?

MaxWin100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:38 PM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Did you get the infamous MPEG4 letter? and what is the "other Tivo" a Premiere or newer perhaps?

Old 10-11-2015, 05:07 PM   #3
MaxWin100

Yes, I did get that letter, but I didn't think it applied because this is a Tivo HD. I get some HD channels and not others.

The "other" working Tivo is newer. It's a Tivo XL 4.

So the letter meant that I'd only get some HD channels and not others?

Old 10-11-2015, 05:14 PM   #4
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxWin100 View Post
Yes, I did get that letter, but I didn't think it applied because this is a Tivo HD. I get some HD channels and not others.

The "other" working Tivo is newer. It's a Tivo XL 4.

So the letter meant that I'd only get some HD channels and not others?
Tivo has decided to have their software on the Tivo series 3's and HD (in the United States) lock out mpeg4 channels. You could ask them to change that, but they won't.

Wil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:29 PM   #5
MaxWin100

That answers the question. I didn't think the change applied to the Tivo HD.

Old 10-11-2015, 06:37 PM   #6
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

TC CLUB MEMBER
The MPEG4 is a new format which the Series 3 cannot support, to record from. The cable company is moving more and more channels to MPEG4 to save bandwidth.

Juliet Basic (4XL, PLS)

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:19 PM   #7
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxWin100 View Post
That answers the question. I didn't think the change applied to the Tivo HD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
The MPEG4 is a new format which the Series 3 cannot support, to record from. The cable company is moving more and more channels to MPEG4 to save bandwidth.
Exacty as ThAbto says, Series 3 units of which the Tivo HD is one of, do not support MPEG4, you need a Premiere or higher unit for MPEG4 channels, there's your answer and not sure why you thought it wouldn't apply to your unit.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:02 PM   #8
ej42137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil View Post
Tivo has decided to have their software on the Tivo series 3's and HD (in the United States) lock out mpeg4 channels. You could ask them to change that, but they won't.
That's a pretty twisted way to describe the situation. When the Series 3 TiVos were in active production, there was no use of mpeg4 in the US, so TiVo did not add support for it in US TiVos. Fairly recently, some US cable companies started to use mpeg4; TiVo added support for it in the Premiere and later lines whose software was still in active development. TiVo did not go back and make similar changes to the Series 3 software line, which is what some people have their panties in a twist about. It is presumed that the only change needed for Series 3 to support mpeg4 is a software update, because essentially the same hardware was in use in Australia happily consuming mpeg4 transmissions. But TiVo isn't going to open up the old Series 3 support code and enhance it at this late date, when the only result would be to sell fewer Roamios and Bolts. TiVo isn't going to spend money to hurt its own sales, much as we Series 3 owners would like them to.

To say that TiVo has "locked out" mpeg4 channels badly misrepresents the situation.

ej42137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:45 PM   #9
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej42137 View Post
It is presumed that the only change needed for Series 3 to support mpeg4 is a software update, because essentially the same hardware was in use in Australia happily consuming mpeg4 transmissions. But TiVo isn't going to open up the old Series 3 support code
I believe the code already exists and implementation of such a system update would ordinarily be routine, but this has not been done in the US for the last several years during which mpeg4 has been employed, in order to enhance demand for newer Tivo models.

Nothing wrong with being anti-customer to achieve marketing goals; I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

Wil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:51 AM   #10
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil View Post
I believe the code already exists and implementation of such a system update would ordinarily be routine, but this has not been done in the US for the last several years during which mpeg4 has been employed, in order to enhance demand for newer Tivo models.

Nothing wrong with being anti-customer to achieve marketing goals; I didn't mean to imply otherwise.
and you know this because?
Honestly it's just total conjecture on your side, I'd offer the alternative view, the software/hardware on an S3 is no longer a priority for Tivo and they have chosen to apply their limited development resources elsewhere.