TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-06-2016, 12:22 PM   #1
SRAINESS

kmttg - ffmpeg to mp4 - mp4 header issue ?

hello...

Just installed kmttg 3 days ago to save files from tivo to local drive for plex publishing. Got everything configured, decrypt, encode, commercial cut, etc...
ran perfectly, mp4 created and able to run in windows media player. File properties showed correct resolution, bitrate, etc...

Re-ran yesterday... Goes through process but then end result mp4 file looks like header may be corrupt. No details in 'properties' and wont play in windows media player. No metadata either. No errors on conversion screen. VLC actually will play the file. Uninstalled (remove), and re-installed. Still same results.

Any thoughts ?

SRAINESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:57 PM   #2
jonw747

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRAINESS View Post
hello...

Just installed kmttg 3 days ago to save files from tivo to local drive for plex publishing. Got everything configured, decrypt, encode, commercial cut, etc...
ran perfectly, mp4 created and able to run in windows media player. File properties showed correct resolution, bitrate, etc...

Re-ran yesterday... Goes through process but then end result mp4 file looks like header may be corrupt. No details in 'properties' and wont play in windows media player. No metadata either. No errors on conversion screen. VLC actually will play the file. Uninstalled (remove), and re-installed. Still same results.

Any thoughts ?
Are you using VideoRedo perchance?

I ran in to a problem where if you have chapters enabled in VRD, it will save Mp4 files out in a QuickTime format that can give some other programs grief.

Otherwise how are you encoding?

jonw747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:42 AM   #3
SRAINESS

No videoredo, just ffmpeg. even removed the ad detect, and ad cut. All that's clicked is decrypt & encode. It does run ffmpeg using one of the stock profiles and completes with no error on run (just seemingly bad output file). Input file into ffmpeg is fine as well as I can view all attributes via its properties. I actually just tried one of the handbrake profiles for the cli and that works with no problems, its just much slower than ffmpeg.

Old 06-07-2016, 03:44 PM   #4
jonw747

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRAINESS View Post
No videoredo, just ffmpeg. even removed the ad detect, and ad cut. All that's clicked is decrypt & encode. It does run ffmpeg using one of the stock profiles and completes with no error on run (just seemingly bad output file). Input file into ffmpeg is fine as well as I can view all attributes via its properties. I actually just tried one of the handbrake profiles for the cli and that works with no problems, its just much slower than ffmpeg.
VideoRedo's quickstream fix cleans up some problems. I'm not sure if there's a work flow that behaves properly without it, as I am using VRd.

I'm using QuickSync encoding with Handbrake (which is very fast), but it took a lot of tweaking to get the workflow working smoothly without glitches on various content.

For instance, the type of file you retrieve from the TiVo makes a difference, and it matters which App you use to decode it.

I was getting sync problems if I let Vrd AdCut the MPEG file, but was able to re-work things such that it ends up cutting the MP4 file.

Unfortunately with QS, I've been unable to retain the original interlacing in the video. I was unable to figure out a means to reliably detect 24p telecine, so, I'm just detelicining to 24p everything that's supposed to have been recording in that format.

jonw747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 01:45 PM   #5
SRAINESS

I didn't realize there are multiple types of files that can be retrieved from a Tivo. Are you talking about from the same Tivo, or different models of Tivo's ?